Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Xenia releasing ammonia TRUE?

I just read about xenia taking in nitrate but also release ammonia, is this true?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would say not. LA says they feed by "They contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae from which they receive the majority of their nutritional requirements. Additional weekly feedings of micro-plankton or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates are also needed."

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i wouldn't feed xenia anything. they do fine with just light. feed the fish if anything...let them poop in the water. plenty of food.

do any photosynthetic creatures release ammonia at any time? if the answer is no, i would think it's the same for xenia.
however, i noticed that xenia is tough to ship. if i stressed it by cutting a piece and tossing it in a bag, and i see that slime coming off of it, more times than not it arrived dead. a bag of brown stinky water is what showed up.
could that slime have ammonia in it?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most animals would release ammonia if they die. Like the shrimp that we add to cycle a new tank. As most corals only have one openning to both eat and poop. I do think the uneaten food or waste from a coral is a level above ammonia it will get there in time.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, what if they don't die and they aren't fed? no ammonia then? how about the photosynthesis process?
Old 12-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

They will release their waste into the tank, but not straight ammonia. The waste breaks down to ammonia and then the bacteria breaks it down a step further until you finally end up with Nitrogen gas. So some where between the there waste removal and the N is where the bacteria kicks in.
Photosynthesis Is done by the
Zooxanthellae that live in the coral. Not sure if Zenias use them or not.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've seriously thought about putting a sign over my tank reading "Please don't feed the Xenia"

People complain about GSP being a pest but Xenia can be worse than the dreaded hair algae. You can try cutting it out of the tank but if you don't get every last bit off the rock it will re-grow. And then you have to watch that little pieces don't escape while cutting. And that's nothing compared to the smell your hands will have afterwards.

Bad stuff. Keep away from the Xenia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I would say not. LA says they feed by "They contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae from which they receive the majority of their nutritional requirements. Additional weekly feedings of micro-plankton or foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates are also needed."
Old 12-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

you know, i used to have the same problem with xenia. i sold off rock after rock and replaced them with new ones...until one day, it all receded, and was never seen again. strange. i never knew what made it all disappear.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've put a hammer coral near them to beat them back. The sweeper tentacles come out and the xenia wilts away. Much more effective than trying to remove it by hand.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would expect any living thing to add ammonia to a system - it's just a matter of "how much". I would guess fish would add more ammonia due to their mass, but with large coral colonies we'd probably be surprised how big their "mass" is when it comes to bioload. I think it was in Fenner's book that he said the biggest bioload in our tanks are actually our bacteria!

Tags
ammonia, xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com