Xenia temperatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peeley

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've heard several times that Xenia must stay below 80 degrees F or they will begin shedding and die if not brought back below 80. Is this total nonsense? Are people just giving an extra conservative figure?
I mentioned it in another thread and was shown a photo of waving fields of xenia growing at 82-83 degrees (btw nice pic BangGuy 8) ).
So what's the deal?

My Xenia is in a tank right now that is 81.8 I have never had any problems.. IMO it is complete Nonsense as well..

James

There are a few water parameters in your tank that are temperature dependant, specific gravity, ph and O2 saturation. It is possible that in your tank (you mentioned in the other thread that you experienced problems at 80) the increased temp caused one of your other parameters to fall to an area that made the xenia unhappy, or the temp change occurred to quickly. When I kept xenia, I kept it at 82F.

My xenia like 1.025- 1.026, higher PH 8.3 and seem to thrive when the alkalinity is toward the higher end of the spectrum. Mine do great even when my old tank got to 86!!

It's weird, my gravity was just above 1.026 and my xenia started to look very weak and start to slightly curl. Oh well, we'll see what happens. :)

It's weird, my gravity was just above 1.026

measured with? If it's measured with a hydrometer, it may be much higher, when I go my refractometer my swing arm hydrometer was reading .003 lower than it was.

According to Anthony Calfo, xenia will do well at 1.025. Also, from the same source, they like the pH at about 8.3. His experience was that they would quit pulsing when the pH dropped much below 8.3.

His experience was that they would quit pulsing when the pH dropped much below 8.3.
It all kind of depends on the species.. I have had one that was Jakarta Xenia that was captive bread for over 30gens that pulsed 24/7 no matter the pH.. It was extremely hardy.. BUT the ones that I have now barely pulse no matter the pH temp ect... I am soon to be getting back my old xenia beofre it died

JAmes

Hey reefrunner,

I actually used one of those floating hydrometers and you were right, it was a little above 1.027!! I refuse to use those floating arm hydrometers anymore!

Thanks for the great tip,

John

I refuse to use those floating arm hydrometers anymore!
Check on Ebay.. PremiumAquatics lists one of their refractometers on there all the time starting at like 39.00 I think i got mine for like 45.00 shipped.. It works awesome and very much worth every penny that I paid for it.. My swingArm was off by like .003 which i had it set at 1.024 and it was really 1.027.. it was quite nice as Technically it was 35ppt which is right where I wanted it.. Glad i shot a bit low.. I know some have been off even farther than that..

James

Back
Top Bottom