xenias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fonzi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi everyone, i got these xenias but they closed up and i noticed these lil tiny tiny flea like animals running around near them? any ideas? these are my second set the others died, i checked my water everything looks fine!

Attachments

• IMAG0044.jpg
    IMAG0044.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG0045.jpg
    IMAG0045.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 133
How long have you had them? The flea things look like tiny shrimp like things? You might want to give them time. They will grow like weeds so keep that in mind. What are your water parameters? What lights?

i just got them today, they do look like mini shrimp, the ph 8.0 , no2 was 0 no3 0, ammonia 0, everything was looking good i changed the water yesterday bout 2 gallons, i have the biocube 14 gallons, with 10000k and actinics

they got worset, and wat is this?

grrr didnt work, its this !

Attachments

• IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 100
Xenia is one of those corals that likes a "dirty" system. If you have low nitrates and low excess nutrients you will be hard pressed to keep it happy.

If you just got them you may not have acclimated them long enough. Although they can be tough as nails and grow like a weed once in a system, they are VERY sensitive transport and being added to a new tank. We sold it very well at the shop I was running and people would bring it in by the bucket, but we wouldn't give credit until it was alive after a week.

Hopefully this batch will make it. If not and you have to get some more in the future then acclimate very slowly, take at least an hour.

try moving it higher in the tank, mine is about 2/3 up from the bottom, and its almost completely grown off of the plug it came on lol

the mini shrimp sound like amphipods, good to have

I wouldn't move it up at this point. They can handle low light with no problems and when they are moved up it needs to be done slowly so they can acclimate to the higher light. It hasn't even acclimated to the new tank yet so having to also acclimate to the increased lighting (even after just a few days) would just add unnecessary stress.

When Xenia starts to grow in your tank it will climb up. It's one of those corals that either likes your tank or doesn't. Acclimating it is IMO pointless. I'm not a fan of the coral because of how messy it is and how invasive it is. It as I stated before likes a dirty high nutrient system. If you don't have a high nutrient system it will not be happy no matter how long you acclimate it or where you place it.

the xenias have settled nicely, they survived through a few hermit crab attacks! i also noticed a worm with three horns peeking and hideing in an live rock, anyone know what it could be? And i spotted a plant worm, it is next to some zoas but this on is dark green and a odd shape compared to the neighboring zoas? in the red

Attachments

• IMAG0055.jpg
    IMAG0055.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom