Xenia's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kdoo624

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My xenia's are starting to go wherever they want all over my twelve gal nano cube and I want to land scape them to look good again.... Suggestions would not go unappreciated...

In a 12g tank, and healthy xenia, I think you're in a never ending battle. Anything removed from a rock with the smallest piece of jelly remanining will be a full blown stalk again. IMO, you need to figure out a way to remove it from the tank totally.

I'm even concerned about trimming it and the mucos it'll create in such a small tank.

Last edited:
In a 12g tank, and healthy xenia, I think you're in a never ending battle. Anything removed from a rock with the smallest piece of jelly remanining will be a full blown stalk again. IMO, you need to figure out a way to remove it from the tank totally.

I'm even concerned about trimming it and ther mucos it'll create in such a small tank.

Or keep pruning them like a bonsia tree. ;)

Pruning doesn't help these from spreading. Growing is one thing. Spreading is another. Just not enuf real estate in a 12g tank for spreading.

Pruning doesn't help these from spreading. Growing is one thing. Spreading is another. Just not enuf real estate in a 12g tank for spreading.

Agreed. For some reason, a bonsai tree popped intio my head so that was my reply. My logic was that if you have the patience and keep at it, you can keep it at bey....just like a bonsai.

so after you trim them they release mucus? is that bad for your water quality?

Well, they constantly release mucus as a chemical warfare defense with other corals. More so when cut. If you run some carbon, that will help filter it out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom