"Y" PVC fitting? or return pump thoughts? (pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesR

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am upgrading my pump and would like to change my return plumbing setup. It has 2 returns (one above the pump and one on the other side of the tank). I was thinking of a "Y" PVC fitting (if they make one) ?????Just want to get rid of the elbow........therefore increasing water flow.

Here is my current setup (pretty bad!) Thanks for any info!

img_277646_0_0696a0091f88b9d76da6d8b5082b9fed.jpg

Thanks guys!!!! :D I'm displaying my ignorance here, but what is an SCWD?

The assistance is much appreciated.
Jim

switching current water director..
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_wavemakers_scwd_squid.asp?ast=&key=

SCWD - Squid - Wavemaker
SCWD - Squid - WavemakerThe SCWD (pronounced "squid") Wavemaker is a revolutionary device designed to provide alternating currents without the use of electricty. The SCWD mounts inline with 3/4" tubing, the two ports alternate the output, the bottom port is the input. A great alternative to expensive electronic ball valves. The SCWD will run on any pump with a minimum output of 50 GPH and a maximum output of 1400. The switching speed and current duration is dependent on the volume of water flowing through the SCWD. You can control the duration by controlling the flow going through the SCWD. Can be submersed for use with large power heads or used externally.

James R
I was thinking along the same lines as you when I was setting up my tank and even consulted an engineer on the elbow vs Y. he said the amt of difference in the 2 with regardsa to loss of water flow is so minimal you shouldnt even worry about it. I thought there would be a huge difference but once the line where the elbow/Y is full, it flows freely. Just my input as I spent many hours at different hardware stores looking for a Y. The smalles they make is 1 1/2" Y's.....
If your that set on it, do the SCWD

Back
Top Bottom