Yasha Hase and Pistol Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xkenneth

Aquarium Advice Activist
How would these two go in a Reef tank? I found someone willing to sell them nearby for $40 so I thought it would be a good idea. I'm not worried about the goby but how is the pistol for aggressiveness? I've got some smaller clowns in the tank (1/2") will he bother them? Also I have a high-fin red banded goby in the tank, the gobies should get along correct? The tank is 30gals with a planned move to 75.

Ideally this goby should be the first bottom dwelling goby added to the established aquarium, so the fish may stake out its territory before other more pugnacious gobies are added. That hi-fin is not aggressive towards other shrimp gobies and may even share a burrow with another species. Might be pretty neat...I'm not sure about them all sharing, one might be left out...maybe you might be able to add another pistol, and it might be fun watching the steal each other's rocks...Of course, I have never had one, so some one that has had experience please correct me if I am wrong!.
pistol shrimp are near blind so probably won't bother the clowns, unless they get too close to it's burrow.

You're gonna be fine. Just make sure your rocks are planted on the bottom instead of sitting on the sand. Otherwise, burrowing creatures will cause avalanches. I'd also not worry about the pistol attacking anyone.

I had a high fin that shared a burrow and shrimp guard w/a yellow watchman.

Will the pistol be aggressive towards other inverts, IE cleaner shrimp or hermits?

Regards,
Ken

No problem. I've seen hermits go in the hole, only to be used as building blocks or pushed back out of the hole. Can't harm the hermit, and believe me a cleaner might get snapped at if it went into the hole but I doubt if it'd get hurt, besides I'm sure the goby would shoo it away.

I don't believe there'll be any problems.

Me either! Keep us updated, PLEASE, because I want to get the combo as well.

Well i've decided not to get them because of the way i've got my rocks set up. They're all sitting on the sandbed and I don't want to risk a cave in or anything jeopardizing my fish or my new shrimp. I'm planning on setting up a 75gallon soon so i'll make sure it's pistol shrimp ready. :p

I don't want to risk a cave in or anything

I move my LR a lot. Just make sure you "snuggle" the LR deep in the sand and you should be ok...

I have kept pistol shrimp and shrimp gobies for almost 5 years now. I have only had problems with the shrimp ONCE, and to this day no one believes me. I had a hi-fin banded goby and a tiger pistol. The smaller gobies and smaller fish in the tank kept disappearing. I would add a 4 firefish, and one would disappear a week. I would add a small pseudo, and after a few weeks, nothing. Never found a body. I went through maybe a dozen small fish like this until I got a nano and pulled the tiger and shimp goby out. Since then, I have NOT had any problems with missing small fish. Stuff dies every now and then, but for me EVERYTHING would just go missing if it was arround an inch or so long.

That tiger lived for about 4 years, in fact he only passed away a few months ago, and he was HUGE! I got another tiger for another nano, and I had no issues. I also got a randali for my 2 1/2 gallon and he is fine with my 1 inch red head goby, which is NOT a shimp goby, but they will share a burrow for a few minutes at a time.

These things are so cool to watch. I can think of no better animal to keep your sand stirred up in your tank - so if you have a deep sand bed and don't want it stirred up I would not get one.

I would recommend these things for the nano tanks, as they are really hard to find in a larger set up. If you have a lot of rock in there you will probably never see the shrimp, and they are nocturnal and do most of their moving arround in the middle of the night.

Back
Top Bottom