Yellow Box Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfish1102

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm just back from holiday in Cornwall, UK. I visited an aquarium where they had some Yellow Box Fish. They were amazing, little square fish with black spots. The info said the babies look like flying sweet corn (I think that's maize in the US).

Anyone keep these, know anything about them - are they difficult or easy? I haven't got marine fish at the mo, just freshwater tropical, but I'm a bit tempted to get some of these.

Thanks
:)

sweetcorn or maize?

Do you know what sweetcorn is? I'm not sure if its got the same name in the UK as in the US, I think in the US it is called maize. Apologies if I'm wrong. :oops:

ReefRaff said:
(I think that's maize in the US).

HUH?

Tim, you don't remember the pilgrims? That's the native american word for corn, or so we've been taught in shcool. Catfish, we call it corn :wink:

Boxfish are notoriously difficult to keep, and when they are under stress, they will exude a toxin that can kill everything in the tank, including themselves :?

If I'm not mistaken the yellow with black dots is actually the female of the Blue spotted boxfish, which is a very pretty fishm blue/purple body, black on top with white spots.

Tim, you don't remember the pilgrims? That's the native american word for corn, or so we've been taught in shcool.

Oh ya hehe, I might have been cutting school that day.

I know who pilgrims are, Christopher Columbus was a Pilgrim. he came over to shoot some turkeys and start up the thanksgiving holiday. :wink:

Do you celabrate thanksgiving in england Catfish :?:

I know who pilgrims are, Christopher Columbus was a Pilgrim. he came over to shoot some turkeys and start up the thanksgiving holiday.

LOL, dude, make friends with a history teacher. Columbus was not a pilgrim. Columbus was an Itallian expolorer that sailed for the spanish, trying to find a new route to the Indies. He is credited for discovering America, the pilgrims were English settlers that were persecuted for their religion.

Boxfish are notoriously difficult to keep, and when they are under stress, they will exude a toxin that can kill everything in the tank, including themselves

I used to work at a LFS when I was in HS and we go a box fish in (not knowing about its toxins), awesome looking fish it was blue and black with white dots if I remmember right. Anyways one day when we came in the store, the water in the tank was cloudy and all the fish dead. I guess it was stressed out or something, we had him for about a week and he wouldn't eat anything we tried to feed him.

Back
Top Bottom