Yellow Boxfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a juvenile yellow boxfish, and was wondering just how likely they are to poison the tank. I was told that it's a possibility, but that he'd have to be extremely stressed. Also, if it were to happen, is there any way to save the other fish? I don't have much of anything in the tank right now. Thanks for any responses. :turn-l:

Cool looking fish. I had thought about them, until I read "for experienced" and relaeses a toxin (since I am not really experienced...only about 4 months)....

I dont think you would be able to save the other fish or the boxfish itself, actually. It would be difficult to know when/if it released the toxin until too late. The only exception would be if you happened to notice the boxfish had died. They release the toxin then, too, and I suppose if you got it ouf of the tank quick enough after death, you may have a chance of saving other fish. Just a thought, though.

A species only tank would be good for one of these.

ive had 2 boxfish die 1 was a very large cowfish and the other was a fairly large blue boxfish neither of wich did i have any poison issues and nither has a friend of mine wich also had 1 die.

Well I took the little guy back to the store. After reading up more on them, I realized that he’s going to get too big for me to house anyhow. I was told that he was going to stay small. :roll: From now on, I’m just going to stick to gobies and other small fish like I originally intended. Thanks a lot for your responses. This is an awesome forum, and I’m learning a lot. :turn-l:

you should have kept him.By the time he gets to big it could be 4 years away,by then I'am sure you would have had a bigger tank.I have had a boxfish or 2 die in my tank with no side effects.I would only worry about the blue boxfish for toxin release.

Back
Top Bottom