Yellow cup coral turns brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wlam18

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have this yellow cup coral for about three months. Since then slowly but surely, each polyp turned brown and now all 100s polyps are browned. Any help?

What's type of lighting and how much? How old are the bulbs? Do you use a skimmer? If so what brand? Some starting points...

it was a dyed yellow cup. we see a lot of them come in to our lfs the real yellow ones are really $$$$ and they come from fiji.

lights are 7mos old, 2x150W MH and 2x96W PC, water quality is fine, I use the cheap jebo skimmer....

I tend to agree with warorks. It is an unfortunate practice to dye different corals pretty colors to sell them. Unfornately it usually has detrimental effects on the coral.

I got some zoas that were dyed neon green.

They all died. Only loss in a year.

Best of luck to you and the cup coral!

the cups dont die most of the time. they just lose the yellow color and turn green in the end and look just the all the others.

My pagoda was also very yellow when I bought it. After I heard about the practice of Coral dying I felt duped. Over the last year it has slowly turned paler but has grown steadily and is doing very well. Good Luck with yours! I found a picture of what it looked like when it started losing its color.

Attachments

• dyed_pagoda_cup_101.jpg
    dyed_pagoda_cup_101.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 94
  • dyed_pagoda_cup_561.jpg
    dyed_pagoda_cup_561.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom