Yellow head jawfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Overall, just make sure you can see him eating. If you ever have the notion he's not eating, you can always try target feeding. Use a turkey baster or a pipette if you have one and squirt the food more towards the direction/vicinity you know he is in. This might make it easier for him to get to the food if he is a shy fish.

I agree with Cmor. Glass covers will cause a lower PH due to poor gas exchange at the surface. Go with the egg crate

I don't mean to hijack the thread but....

I don't really understand the whole gas exchange issue if you have a skimmer wouldn't that push enough O2 into the water. It seems to me there is alot more contact with water and air in the skimmer than the top of the tank.

I don't really understand the whole gas exchange issue if you have a skimmer wouldn't that push enough O2 into the water. It seems to me there is alot more contact with water and air in the skimmer than the top of the tank.
Im not sure whether that is true or not however in this small of a tank I wont have a skimmer and the problem will show even if thats ture.

Aeration of the tank is done by surface aggitation at the surface. That`s why it`s recommended to have a PH or two pointed up slightly to the surface. If access to air at the surface is blocked by a glass plate then aeration cant happen as it should.

Aeration of the tank is done by surface aggitation at the surface. That`s why it`s recommended to have a PH or two pointed up slightly to the surface. If access to air at the surface is blocked by a glass plate then aeration cant happen as it should.

I understand that but there sure is alot of air flow through my skimmer. Aeration is going to take place wherever water meets air. I guess I am asking why this is not enough.

Is the answer "It just isn't"?

Just an idea, but what about if I got a piece of acrylic panal and drilled a lot of holes in it. Small enough to keep jawfish in, but air in and out? Or would that still not allow enough gas exchange?

It would be a wee bit better but I really like innovators suggestion about the netting.

Only problem is it says the hole size is half an inch and I would have to double it up if its true that jawfish can jump through small holes. Not sure on this but I think its cause they are used to darting back into small holes and if they are spooked they can jump through. I think I am going to go with the acrylic drilled with holes and monitor the PH for a while. Then work on netting if it becomes too much of a problem.

They make 1/4" and 1/8" sizes too. Go to their site and check it out then send them an emal asking for samples. I got a sample pack form them a couple of years ago. The only problem is that they had a $50 minimim so they were going to sell me something like 100' as a minimum.

Well $50 minimum is a little steep. I asked for a sample anyway just to see. But if I put a TON of holes in the acrylic it should work pretty much the same for about 1/5 the price. Just some work involed

Polypropelene netting construction. I used PVC quarter round and glue to make my covers. I used 3 sections since I had a bow front. A rectangle tank should be easy. I got plenty netting.

Attachments

• cord cuts with cords.jpg
    cord cuts with cords.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 78
  • back side with hood.jpg
    back side with hood.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 58
You don't have to 'double up'. The opening doesn't necessarily have to be smaller than the fish. He's not an Olympic athlete. He'd have to jump str8 up then do a triple axle to get through.

Play the odds, they're in you're favor.

LOL at the mental picture of that move, though I have seen fish do some incredible moves in the past.

So jill530, PM Ray (austinsdad) and work out a deal for some of that netting.

Back
Top Bottom