Yellow Leathers???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utradeshow

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a Yellow Leather from the LFS and they told me that it is a good Beginner Coral... Now I read they need Intense lighting and all kins of supliments?? Is there just Figi Leather that's the only thing I find on the net? Maybe the one I got doesn't require all this?? I have a 75 gal with 4x65 PC.. What do you guys think????

Leathers are easy to keep. great begginer Coral.
they do not need Intense lighting or Supliments.

just place it where you want it and your good to go

Dont worry if your leather collapses, it will open up again. they are very hardy.

Sounds like the LFS is looking for a sale :D

Post a pic if you can
Good Luck

Actually yellow Fiji leathers can be a little touchy when it comes to lighting. They do much better in more intense light than your typical leather coral will.

With the amount of light you have and the tank depth of a 75 gal, you should be somewhat okay. If the leather begins to fade to a dull brown, just keep moving higher up on the rock work. Start it off at least midway for the first little while but there's a good chance it will need to be in the top ¾ of the tank.

It won't die as a rule but can often lose much of it's yellow brilliance in less than adequate lighting. MH is really the prefered lighting for this species.

Cheers
Steve

Ok, Well I do have it on top of one of my rocks so it's actually in the 1st 1/4 of the water under the lights. I don't plan on keeping it there, I will be upgrading to MH in about a month. Will it attach to the rock by then? I'm so mad at the LFS!! I hate when they say these things " Sure, IT WILL BE FINE!" Just to get a sale!!

If you are going to be upgrading to MH soon I would not attach too many corals to the larger rock structures just yet. Many of the lower light demanding corals will end up needing to be moved closer to the substrate depending on what you get.

Most corals will easily adapt if you acclimate the tank to the new lighting properly. A few may not adapt so well and may need moving. You won't know that though until the time comes. Hard corals are easy to move and you can attach and move them easily enough. Soft corals are typically the opposite and can be a PITA.

If the leather came with no solid base (which would be unusual), then you might want to place it amongst a bunch of smaller rock rubble pieces so it has an easily movable base that can be afixed anywhere you need to later. In general though it will take this species a few weeks at least to properly adhere itself to a solid object.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom