Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2004, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yellow Leathers???

I just bought a Yellow Leather from the LFS and they told me that it is a good Beginner Coral... Now I read they need Intense lighting and all kins of supliments?? Is there just Figi Leather that's the only thing I find on the net? Maybe the one I got doesn't require all this?? I have a 75 gal with 4x65 PC.. What do you guys think????

Old 12-17-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Leathers are easy to keep. great begginer Coral.
they do not need Intense lighting or Supliments.

just place it where you want it and your good to go

Dont worry if your leather collapses, it will open up again. they are very hardy.

Sounds like the LFS is looking for a sale

Post a pic if you can
Good Luck

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
steve-s

Actually yellow Fiji leathers can be a little touchy when it comes to lighting. They do much better in more intense light than your typical leather coral will.

With the amount of light you have and the tank depth of a 75 gal, you should be somewhat okay. If the leather begins to fade to a dull brown, just keep moving higher up on the rock work. Start it off at least midway for the first little while but there's a good chance it will need to be in the top ¾ of the tank.

It won't die as a rule but can often lose much of it's yellow brilliance in less than adequate lighting. MH is really the prefered lighting for this species.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-17-2004, 11:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, Well I do have it on top of one of my rocks so it's actually in the 1st 1/4 of the water under the lights. I don't plan on keeping it there, I will be upgrading to MH in about a month. Will it attach to the rock by then? I'm so mad at the LFS!! I hate when they say these things " Sure, IT WILL BE FINE!" Just to get a sale!!
Old 12-18-2004, 10:58 AM   #5
steve-s

If you are going to be upgrading to MH soon I would not attach too many corals to the larger rock structures just yet. Many of the lower light demanding corals will end up needing to be moved closer to the substrate depending on what you get.

Most corals will easily adapt if you acclimate the tank to the new lighting properly. A few may not adapt so well and may need moving. You won't know that though until the time comes. Hard corals are easy to move and you can attach and move them easily enough. Soft corals are typically the opposite and can be a PITA.

If the leather came with no solid base (which would be unusual), then you might want to place it amongst a bunch of smaller rock rubble pieces so it has an easily movable base that can be afixed anywhere you need to later. In general though it will take this species a few weeks at least to properly adhere itself to a solid object.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com