Yellow Mimic Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yellow Mimic, Mimic Lemon Peel Tang - Acanthurus pyroferus
Also known as: Chocolate Surgeon, Mimic Surgeon, Yellow Mimic
The Acanthurus pyroferus grows up to 10 inches. The small size will come to you generally 1½ to 2½ inches; the medium generally 2½ to 3½ inches; the large generally 3½ to 6 inches; the XL generally 6 to 8 inches. The Yellow Mimic, Mimic Lemon Peel Tang prefers a tank of at least 80 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim. The Acanthurus pyroferus is a herbivore and likes to eat marine algae, zucchini, brocoli, mysid shrimp, Spirulina, lettus, seaweed, sponges, and other meaty treats. The Yellow Mimic, Mimic Lemon Peel Tang is a medium maintenance fish and may act semi-aggressively toward other fish. Reef-safe Johnny:)

Curosity leads me to the following question... have any of you had success feeding any fish brocoli? I have tried it several times and no takers. I keep reading that brocoli is something Tangs especially enjoy.

Also, sponges? I would assume this is referring to the living, undersea variety?

As aside: I am finding my Tangs really enjoy fresh cucumber slices, and the thicker the slice the better. (It's such a joy to see these guys eating their veggies!) Oh, and asked before; any problems foreseen keeping nori and veggies at all times in the tank during lightson?

Sue

Hey Sue! When I had a Naso Tang I used a lettuce clip and left the Nori in there all day long and no problem! Usually the tang had it all gone anyways! Johnny:)

Cucumber slices that is cool!

Johnnie,

Give the cuke slices a try. My guys love them. My Flame Angel is partaking at this point, not just the Purple and Scopus. Makes me feel good to see these guys eating their veggies!

The suggestion to remove the nori from the clip was based on it becoming soggy and mushy thus less than appealing. I guess in the fish world, like our world, to each his own. Actually, I like nori and eat it often... however, I would not enjoy it soggy. =]

Do the cukes! =]

Sue

Back
Top Bottom