Yellow Open Brain Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Of course now I found a nice red brain I found an absolutely beautiful bright yellow open brain. I didn't know they came in that color.....there isn't much information on the yellow variety. My main concern would be lighting requirements.

The coral I'm looking at is a very bright yellow in color. Placement on the bottom of the tank with T5 HO lighting....would this work? Bottom of the tank is approximately 22" from the light source.

Thank you for any input!

Yellow can be difficult to place since I have seen yellow's change color in a variety of placements. Intuition tells me it would eventually want a higher light source, but bottom placement is best for now and could eventually be photo-acclimated up over time.

My LFS just got a neon bright yellow open brain too. It is also the first one I have ever seen. He wants $40 for it, I'm tempted to go back and buy it but I am trying to slow myself down.

My LFS just got a neon bright yellow open brain too. It is also the first one I have ever seen. He wants $40 for it, I'm tempted to go back and buy it but I am trying to slow myself down.

Bright yellow? hmmm, most brains I have seen are mustard to dark yellow. I'd be suspicious of a dyeing process if neon bright yellow.....I would ask the manager about it if the coloration looks too good to be true.

If you don't buy it, please pm me their number and I'll buy it and hopefully they'll ship it.

This is a link to the one I'm lookin' at...

Gatewayaquatics.com

That brilliance honestly worries me. I would have a very indepth talk with them about that particular coral.

It's not a solid yellow like it had been dyed. Its almost got kind of like swirls. It definitely is fluorescent yellow though... maybe just because of the 20k halide lights its under.
I asked him about artificially dyed coral a few months ago and he said he doens't sell it.

That brilliance honestly worries me. I would have a very indepth talk with them about that particular coral.

Do you think it was dyed? If so, I don't want any part of it.

But you have seen others that are yellow? Is their care any different than other colors? Are they still fairly hardy?

It is hard to say whether or not it may be dyed or heavily bleached. Most of the inner tissue around where the mouth would be seems yellow with suspicious neon yellow overtones and green/yellow off lobe edges. I would pose questions such as: Who was this purchased from (wholesaler)? Where was it collected? What depth was it collected at? What assurances can be made that the owner does not purchase dyed corals? Any proper lfs or online retailer can look this up on their database since the wholesalers do provide such information or at least more than willing to find out.

In general, the hardiness factor stays the same other than what elevated lighting parameters it prefers.

My observance of it leads me to think that it`s bleached. It`s just too pale a yellow for me. Maybe it`s OK but it looks bleached to me.

MsbeanCtr you must count a lot of beans in order to finance your corals LOL How many corals have you added in the last 90days exactly? I can think of at least 5 at this rate youll be maxed out by the end of the year and be ready for another tank. Maybe you should just bite the bullett and upgrade to a 500gallon tank now LOL

MsbeanCtr you must count a lot of beans in order to finance your corals LOL How many corals have you added in the last 90days exactly? I can think of at least 5 at this rate youll be maxed out by the end of the year and be ready for another tank. Maybe you should just bite the bullett and upgrade to a 500gallon tank now LOL

Oh man! Wouldn't that be great?! I keep threatening the hubby that I want to buy a new house so I can get more tanks and BIGGER!! I can't print his response.

I will admit that I've been 'indulging' myself lately but I had a dry spell so I think it evens out (that's my excuse anyway).

I only have one more coral that I'm hunting for and that's a greenish toadstool leather.....but everytime I look I find something else that catches my eye....ack!

Wish me luck!

The neon yellow open brain that one of my LFS has is different looking than the one in your picture. It is more of a brown base with bright neon yellow highlights all over it. It is predominately yellow though. I doubt they would ship, but if you want to ask I could give you the phone #.

I have seen a frag of the green toadstool at another one of my LFS.(I have over 15 lfs within 30miles from my house, my wife says "I'm tired of going to fish stores every weeked.") It is pretty cool looking and the owner claims that any of the green toadstools in the area all come off of the same mother colony. But check out this online coral, I would hope that they would not be selling dyed coral. Leather - Pink Toadstool

I have seen a frag of the green toadstool at another one of my LFS.(I have over 15 lfs within 30miles from my house, my wife says "I'm tired of going to fish stores every weeked.") It is pretty cool looking and the owner claims that any of the green toadstools in the area all come off of the same mother colony. But check out this online coral, I would hope that they would not be selling dyed coral. Leather - Pink Toadstool

If you could pm me the number, that would be cool.

That would be so great to have that many lfs close by. I end up driving all over the place.....and my husband says the exact same thing your wife says.

Now, regarding that pink toadstool......I can't believe that coral isn't dyed with that coloring.

Jeesh!! Thanks alot for adding to my wish list!

Back
Top Bottom