Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

It is hard to say whether or not it may be dyed or heavily bleached. Most of the inner tissue around where the mouth would be seems yellow with suspicious neon yellow overtones and green/yellow off lobe edges. I would pose questions such as: Who was this purchased from (wholesaler)? Where was it collected? What depth was it collected at? What assurances can be made that the owner does not purchase dyed corals? Any proper lfs or online retailer can look this up on their database since the wholesalers do provide such information or at least more than willing to find out.

In general, the hardiness factor stays the same other than what elevated lighting parameters it prefers.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

My observance of it leads me to think that it`s bleached. It`s just too pale a yellow for me. Maybe it`s OK but it looks bleached to me.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

MsbeanCtr you must count a lot of beans in order to finance your corals LOL How many corals have you added in the last 90days exactly? I can think of at least 5 at this rate youll be maxed out by the end of the year and be ready for another tank. Maybe you should just bite the bullett and upgrade to a 500gallon tank now LOL

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi View Post
MsbeanCtr you must count a lot of beans in order to finance your corals LOL How many corals have you added in the last 90days exactly? I can think of at least 5 at this rate youll be maxed out by the end of the year and be ready for another tank. Maybe you should just bite the bullett and upgrade to a 500gallon tank now LOL

Oh man! Wouldn't that be great?! I keep threatening the hubby that I want to buy a new house so I can get more tanks and BIGGER!! I can't print his response.

I will admit that I've been 'indulging' myself lately but I had a dry spell so I think it evens out (that's my excuse anyway).

I only have one more coral that I'm hunting for and that's a greenish toadstool leather.....but everytime I look I find something else that catches my eye....ack!

Wish me luck!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

The neon yellow open brain that one of my LFS has is different looking than the one in your picture. It is more of a brown base with bright neon yellow highlights all over it. It is predominately yellow though. I doubt they would ship, but if you want to ask I could give you the phone #.

I have seen a frag of the green toadstool at another one of my LFS.(I have over 15 lfs within 30miles from my house, my wife says "I'm tired of going to fish stores every weeked.") It is pretty cool looking and the owner claims that any of the green toadstools in the area all come off of the same mother colony. But check out this online coral, I would hope that they would not be selling dyed coral. Leather - Pink Toadstool
Old 06-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
I have seen a frag of the green toadstool at another one of my LFS.(I have over 15 lfs within 30miles from my house, my wife says "I'm tired of going to fish stores every weeked.") It is pretty cool looking and the owner claims that any of the green toadstools in the area all come off of the same mother colony. But check out this online coral, I would hope that they would not be selling dyed coral. Leather - Pink Toadstool
If you could pm me the number, that would be cool.

That would be so great to have that many lfs close by. I end up driving all over the place.....and my husband says the exact same thing your wife says.

Now, regarding that pink toadstool......I can't believe that coral isn't dyed with that coloring.

Jeesh!! Thanks alot for adding to my wish list!
Old 06-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Did you end up buying this one from Gatewayaquatics?
Old 06-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
Did you end up buying this one from Gatewayaquatics?
Nope, I called them to inquire about the coloring and they had already sold it.

Tags
open brain

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com