Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yellow Open Brain Question

Of course now I found a nice red brain I found an absolutely beautiful bright yellow open brain. I didn't know they came in that color.....there isn't much information on the yellow variety. My main concern would be lighting requirements.

The coral I'm looking at is a very bright yellow in color. Placement on the bottom of the tank with T5 HO lighting....would this work? Bottom of the tank is approximately 22" from the light source.

Thank you for any input!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
Yellow? I would love to see a pic of that!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Picture Please!!!:p
Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Yellow can be difficult to place since I have seen yellow's change color in a variety of placements. Intuition tells me it would eventually want a higher light source, but bottom placement is best for now and could eventually be photo-acclimated up over time.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

My LFS just got a neon bright yellow open brain too. It is also the first one I have ever seen. He wants $40 for it, I'm tempted to go back and buy it but I am trying to slow myself down.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
My LFS just got a neon bright yellow open brain too. It is also the first one I have ever seen. He wants $40 for it, I'm tempted to go back and buy it but I am trying to slow myself down.
Bright yellow? hmmm, most brains I have seen are mustard to dark yellow. I'd be suspicious of a dyeing process if neon bright yellow.....I would ask the manager about it if the coloration looks too good to be true.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
If you don't buy it, please pm me their number and I'll buy it and hopefully they'll ship it.

This is a link to the one I'm lookin' at...

Gatewayaquatics.com
Old 06-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

That brilliance honestly worries me. I would have a very indepth talk with them about that particular coral.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

It's not a solid yellow like it had been dyed. Its almost got kind of like swirls. It definitely is fluorescent yellow though... maybe just because of the 20k halide lights its under.
I asked him about artificially dyed coral a few months ago and he said he doens't sell it.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
That brilliance honestly worries me. I would have a very indepth talk with them about that particular coral.
Do you think it was dyed? If so, I don't want any part of it.

But you have seen others that are yellow? Is their care any different than other colors? Are they still fairly hardy?

Tags
open brain

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com