Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2004, 09:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yellow Poylps GONE!

I had a yellow poylp colony of over 30 poylps. They slowly started disappearing, one by one. Yesterday they were down to two, and this morning there are none.

My first thought was the pepp shrimp, then I discovered a black crab the other day. All the fish are in qt until Friday, and they did not do it, so I am thinking the crab. What do you guys think?

What is a good trap I could get or make to get this little bugger? I DO NOT want to kill it, and I won't.

There goes another $25.00 on a coral, down the drain, or should I say down the throat! 8O

Old 12-01-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Man we just seem to have the worse luck. MY toadstool leather never has perced back up, still laying on the sand. I would say the crab is to blame. Get a coke bottle (a reg one should be big enough). cut the top off just big enough for him to get inside, then cut the "funnel" off and invert it. place a piece of shrimp or something inside (weight it down), and place it in the tank close to where you saw him. Watch it close cause all your critters will take a try at it.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

rev hope you dont have one of these !! read the "the worm incident" "-)
http://www.oregonreef.com/
also anyone have a idea what the orange fish is on the main page let me know please
Old 12-01-2004, 11:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rev I'd definitely suspect the crab. a ton of crabs are NOT reef safe, and the fact that yellow polyps are small and non-stinging doesn't help their survival rate.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I woud suspect the crab as well....I lost countless snails to the 5++ crabs that came on my LR. I just tilted a glass against a rock near his spot and put food attached to a rock in the bottom. the crab slide down the side but couldn't climb back out. I also speared 2 others but I know you don't want to kill them. I didn't want to kill mine either but I got so frustrated after a few weeks or trying to catch all of them.

I'm not sure what that fish is but I saw it for sale a site not too long ago, it was $600 I think....for the life of me I can't remember what site it was though but they had a few rare expensive fish.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:19 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve
also anyone have a idea what the orange fish is on the main page let me know please
Flame boxfish (Anaplocapros Lenticularis). Click the FAQ on the main page and then #21 on the list

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-01-2004, 02:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

sweet thanks ! great looking fish but not for no $695
http://www.themarinecenter.com/123stockx.htm
Old 12-01-2004, 06:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I am going to try the coke bottle method tonight myself to try and cut my crab population down considerably. :|
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I was a kid, we used to tie a piece of chewed gum ontp a sparkplug and leave it in the creek out side our home. The next day we would have a couple crawdads (mudbugs, yum) stuck to the gum (the claw). I have never tried this for any other purpose, but the concept may well work for crabs. Course, as with any other 'trap' your never guaranteed what you'll get.

GL!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com