Yellow Tail Damsel... the beast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justingadd6420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in Olive Branch MS just 5 minutes south of
I have a yellow tail damsel. it was the first fish i got and with its attitude it will likely be the last. it is really aggressive to anything I put in the tank. the clownfish-murdered a purple firefish-murdered.. total loss 50$. I really like the damsel and it has been through a lot! but i want to start building my reef aquarium and i want fish to go along with it does any one have any advice on how to add fish into the system that might make the damsel chill? or do i need to just take it to the LFS? i have a 60g with 100lbs of live rock. i have included a picture

Take it back that's what I did. It ended up killing two clowns

I'd take it back. Interesting that my yellow tail is a model citizen. Probably something to do with it being in the tank first.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If taking it backs not an option, you can try this, introduce the new fish to a well fed tank after the lights are out for the day. I've also heard of people using breeder boxes in the tank and putting one of the fish in it so they can get used to each other without harming each other.

I have one that is a little "bossy" to new fish( it chased the Chromis until I rang the dinner bell) but gets along fine now with 3 clowns.. 2 pajama cardinals... 2 blue /green chromis a diamond watch goby and a host of shrimp and clean up crew in a 65 gallon long... food is a distraction... when I get a new fish, I feed fresh shrimp ( lights out) just one actinic on ... and it forgets it's the town bully... also if you provide caves for every one to hide in it seems to help.. every fish I have has their own domain where they sleep or take up feeding.. on the other hand some fish are just ornery...as my old pappy once said.. a pretty girl is like a pretty car...not always a good deal.. same can be said for fish...

I have one that is a little "bossy" to new fish( it chased the Chromis until I rang the dinner bell) but gets along fine now with 3 clowns.. 2 pajama cardinals... 2 blue /green chromis a diamond watch goby and a host of shrimp and clean up crew in a 65 gallon long... food is a distraction... when I get a new fish, I feed fresh shrimp ( lights out) just one actinic on ... and it forgets it's the town bully... also if you provide caves for every one to hide in it seems to help.. every fish I have has their own domain where they sleep or take up feeding.. on the other hand some fish are just ornery...as my old pappy once said.. a pretty girl is like a pretty car...not always a good deal.. same can be said for fish...

You have 3 clowns? They'll probably pair off and kill the other....

You have 3 clowns? They'll probably pair off and kill the other....

yes...but not by design.... originally there were a pair of black orcillas and a pair of false percula... prior to installing a grate over the over flow box...one of the ocillas took the fast train down to the basement ending up in the sock filter... it was a little much for it and it succumbed....now the percula have paired off... and the orcillas thinks it's a Blue green Chromis... as it spends it's time swimming ( and sleeping) with them... strange.. but sometimes things work out...things have been peaceful for 2 months so I am reluctant to get another clown( orcillis) and stir the pot..

Yeah 4 clowns in a 60 probably won't work either.... I'd just take the single back before things turn ugly. Just my $.02

Yeah 4 clowns in a 60 probably won't work either.... I'd just take the single back before things turn ugly. Just my $.02

I can see your concern...and appreciate the advise ( others have also advised like wise..) and I have thought about it.. my tank has many.. nooks and crannies and caves for shelter should trouble break out.. also the tank has soft corals, zoa's and an anemone( none of the clowns show any interest in the bubble) all is peaceful right now.. the only one getting nipped right now is me if I don't feed them their Mysis shrimp fast enough.. should mayhem occur... I do have a back up plan should aggression start... I have a fully cycled 20 gallon "hospital" tank set up with live rock, macro algae, a small clean up crew and a HOB filter.. should war be waged.. the victim gets a new home.. and I get to make a Nano set up.. and my Quarantine tub gets to double as a hospital should the need arise...

This sounds weird, but you might try it. Get a color picture of a yellow tail and print it out. Fasten it on the side of the tank. Unlike a mirror which attracts everyone , the yellow tail might concentrate on this new fish.

I've done the pic trick withe my yellow tang and it deffinately helped. +1 on pic trick!

Back
Top Bottom