Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yellow Tail Damselfish Attacking Clownfish

I've had two yellowtail damsels in my 200L tank for some time now, along with a small clownfish. Everything was fine until yesterday I added a medium clownfish (bigger than the two damsels).
At first they chased the big one for a few minutes until my fire shrimp came over and gave him a little 'cleaning' and then they backed off. The two pairs stayed on opposite ends of the tank. Everything was fine when I went to bed but when I woke up I find they small clownfish missing his two bottom fins and the one on his side in pieces. 😢 I've isolated him and he is struggling to swim but not too badly. He occasionally lies on the bottom but gets back up seconds later. But this is the one the damsels have been living with for ages. Why attack him and not the new guy? Is there any way I can calm down the damsels? Feed them more? I know they can be aggressive at times but I read from several places and heard from my LFS that my tank was big enough to house the pairs without trouble.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Are you sure it wasn't the new larger clown fish that attacked your small clown? They can be really rough on each other.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Really? Oh. But they seemed fine last night, following eachother but not biting. The damsels were chasing the big guy last night and this morning the damsels were kind of circling the little one. They swam up to him a nipped him once but now I'm not sure...
Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Catch the damsels now or it will lead to more stress in the future. Word of advice NO Damsels!!! lol
Old 02-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yellow tail damsels are pretty easy going fish IME. I bet it was the new clown.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I bet it's the clown as well. Damsels rarely have what it takes to pester a clown fish.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yellow Tail Damselfish Attacking Clownfish

I agree It was prob clown on clown attack as they were introduced at separate times, but I would also remove the damsels as they are a pain in the but when it comes to adding fish later on. IMO they always become very aggressive and will cause problems later down the line.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the input much appreciated
Old 02-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My damsel was the most evil fish ever. He's take on any new fish and stress it to death. I had to tear down all my coral/rock to get the menace out of there. They are notorius for being super agressive once they get teritorial.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I guess I'm lucky I have four of the damsels I added almost 12 years ago. They are among the smallest fish in the reef so they really only pick on each other. The size of the reef allows them to keep their own territory, so no problems.

Tags
attack, attacking, clown, clownfish, damsel, damselfish, fish, tail, yellow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com