yellow tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTV

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 46 gallon tank with 57lbs of live rock and 50lbs of live sand also, AquaC remora hob skimmer.wondering if this tank is too small to have a yellow tang...my plans are to have a six line wrasse, diamond goby, 2 ocellaras clowns and the tang if I can keep it in this size tank- is this too ambitious?

i have a 46 to and am sorry to say it wont work short term ok, if they are small, but they need a75-100 gallon tank, there are some people have kept them in a 46 but i think in the long term it will become stressed big time

that's what I was afraid of....this was an adequate tank for fw but, for salt, it is a bit limiting.

i agree if i could do it over i would get a 75-100 gallon knowing what i know now, but hay you do with what you got , in my 46 i got 2 clowns a flame angel and a sand sifter goby and a neon goby you can still have a enjoyable time with your size tank, i am like you struggling with the tang thing, i want one and on another site this one gut has a yellow tang in his 46 and the tang police are all on him

I agree. A 46 is just too small for a tang. You do have some very nice other options. If you want something yellow look at the lemonpeel angel. It would be a ncie addition as long as you do not plan on corals.

and the tang police are all on him

I would say these are very dedicated hobbiests that are concerned for the health and well-being of the fish.

lando said:
I agree. A 46 is just too small for a tang. You do have some very nice other options. If you want something yellow look at the lemonpeel angel. It would be a ncie addition as long as you do not plan on corals.

I am just a beginner to the forum, so pardon the question, but why is it too small? Wouldn't it depend on the size of the tang?

Tangs are an extremely active fish that require alot of swimming room. I call it "left to right" room. In a tank that small, they just cannot swim.

Hara, your site lists a 50 gal for a yellow tang and personally I keep a 5” in a 55 gal tank.

Mine is quite an active swimmer but isn’t a 4ft long tank enough “left to right” room for a yellow tang? It seems like 4ft is enough to me.

I agree if the 46 gal is 36” long then it’s not enough room for a YT but if it’s a 46 long tank (48 x 13 x 17) then that pretty darn close to the same size as a 55 gal which is the minimum tank size most people keep yellow tangs in.

I have my Yellow Tang in a 65gal and he is doing great. I wouldnt suggest anything smaller than a 50gal though he does like to swim alot.

Back
Top Bottom