Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
RTV
Aquarium Advice Regular

yellow tang

I have a 46 gallon tank with 57lbs of live rock and 50lbs of live sand also, AquaC remora hob skimmer.wondering if this tank is too small to have a yellow tang...my plans are to have a six line wrasse, diamond goby, 2 ocellaras clowns and the tang if I can keep it in this size tank- is this too ambitious?

Old 03-17-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have a 46 to and am sorry to say it wont work short term ok, if they are small, but they need a75-100 gallon tank, there are some people have kept them in a 46 but i think in the long term it will become stressed big time

Old 03-17-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
RTV
Aquarium Advice Regular

that's what I was afraid of....this was an adequate tank for fw but, for salt, it is a bit limiting.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

i agree if i could do it over i would get a 75-100 gallon knowing what i know now, but hay you do with what you got , in my 46 i got 2 clowns a flame angel and a sand sifter goby and a neon goby you can still have a enjoyable time with your size tank, i am like you struggling with the tang thing, i want one and on another site this one gut has a yellow tang in his 46 and the tang police are all on him
Old 03-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. A 46 is just too small for a tang. You do have some very nice other options. If you want something yellow look at the lemonpeel angel. It would be a ncie addition as long as you do not plan on corals.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
and the tang police are all on him
I would say these are very dedicated hobbiests that are concerned for the health and well-being of the fish.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
I agree. A 46 is just too small for a tang. You do have some very nice other options. If you want something yellow look at the lemonpeel angel. It would be a ncie addition as long as you do not plan on corals.
I am just a beginner to the forum, so pardon the question, but why is it too small? Wouldn't it depend on the size of the tang?
Old 03-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Tangs are an extremely active fish that require alot of swimming room. I call it "left to right" room. In a tank that small, they just cannot swim.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Hara, your site lists a 50 gal for a yellow tang and personally I keep a 5” in a 55 gal tank.

Mine is quite an active swimmer but isn’t a 4ft long tank enough “left to right” room for a yellow tang? It seems like 4ft is enough to me.

I agree if the 46 gal is 36” long then it’s not enough room for a YT but if it’s a 46 long tank (48 x 13 x 17) then that pretty darn close to the same size as a 55 gal which is the minimum tank size most people keep yellow tangs in.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Joester2k3 Send a message via Yahoo to Joester2k3
I have my Yellow Tang in a 65gal and he is doing great. I wouldnt suggest anything smaller than a 50gal though he does like to swim alot.

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com