Yellow Tang attacking corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a shipment in from garf that had been delayed. Most of them seemed ok. The zooanthids never really fully opened. (it's only been about 3 days) A few opened enough for me to see what colors they were. But now my yellow tang has eaten almost all of them, my yellow polyps have a few polyps that seem like they are going to die, and my leather coral keeps getting knocked off it's rock. Could the tang be damaging them, or is it more likeing that they were dying anyway?

Chances are the corals were very stressed. Maybe they were putting out a secreation or scent that said "come and eat me" to the tang. When stressed, they can loose their mucus membrane, that could have something to do with it.

Yeah, I have some flourecent yellow polyps of this stick thing and she leaves them alone...I am getting a replacement order tuesday...hoping it doesn't happen again or it's bye bye yellow tang :( . In the order I got two of the corals were oviously DOA...but the new yellow polyps opened up the same day...now half of them look dead (they were in transit at least 3 days 8O ). Whats up with that!? All my original corals are just fine, as are the palythoa I got (knock on wood).

Back
Top Bottom