Yellow tang being a punk!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsuarez

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Its been 5 days since ive added a sailfin tang to my display tank, knowing that the yellow would bully her, i was hoping it would only last a few days. It has calmed down alot but still has its moments when i think he just wants to tear her to shreds, at first the sailfin would only just sit in a corner of the tank only moving when the yellow would start attacking, i knew that would happen, she attracted ick and several parts of her fins where damaged from the bully, well since sunday ive managed to get her eating, despite the yellow trying to beat her up all the time, and the ick is gone her fins are healing nicely and she swims all around the tank. The yellow has eased up on her but for some reason when i go to feed them ill sit in front of the tank and there goes the yellow trying to beat her up as if i just put her in there...do yall think its trying to show off in front of me? Or is it that **** territorial that its just not gonna let up that easy?..ill watch it from a distance and it wont mess with her as much as it does when im sitting in front of the tank...any thoughts on that and wat i can do to maybe get it to back off of her a bit more?

When you approach the tank, the fish think that it's time to eat. This is why the aggressiveness happens more when you approach, the Yellow is defending its food.
The Yellow is also considered a Sailfin tang, this is definitely part of the problem. Tangs do not take well to other tangs that share the same body form.
What sized tank are they in, and what size are they?

well the sailfin and yellow have the same body type which is part of the problem your suppose to add tangs with different body types so they don't fight. also how big is the tank you have them in.

Its a 55g long and the yellow is about 3 to 3 ina half inches from mouth to tail fin and the other is about 2 to 2 ina half inches both still fairly small...

Since the Yellow is larger, and was in before the Sailfin, and they are in a 55g, they will probably continue to fight. You could try rearranging your rock work, this might help. If it were me, I would try to trade the Sailfin for another fish, JMO.
Good luck with it.

Yea thats what i planned to do anyways, one of my corals has grown about 10 times the size it was when i placed it where its at about 5 months ago and its getting in the way of my flowerpot coral when its fully expanded so im gonna move stuff around and also make room for more corals...and thanks

Provide some sheets of dried seaweed like nori. Fat tangs aren't as aggressive. Tank is a bit too small for tangs, but keeping them fat with good holes to hide will help.

That is a small tank for 2 tangs, especially the same body type. Not a good idea to mix yellows purples blacks sailfins or caribbean blue tangs unless you have a very large tank, even then it is risky. Tangs will fight to the death, whereas other fish will squabble to create a hirearchy within their school. I would seperate the two before it is too late.

I wouldnt put two tangs in that tank period, but in a larger tank a yellow and naso and kole eye tangs could all get along as they are different body types.

Besides looking at the tang, comoare their scientific names, if they have the same word in the name dont mix lol

Adding new fish is stressful, having 2 tangs in a 55 is stressful and having 2 fish pick and fight all the time is stressful. You said you seen ick and with everything going on in your tank, you are headed for a disaster with MI. You set up is not suited for Tangs, sorry but there will never be a good outcome for this. Tangs of the same body can and will get along with the proper environment and conditions. You do not have those. We all must buy what our tanks will support and not what we want. When we buy what we want we are only thinking about ourself, when we buy only what our tanks will support and is suited for, we are thinking about our fish. We are all guilty and have all done it.

Thanks for all the advice, i was seriously considering taking it out and trying to exchange it but as the time has gone by the 2 have, what looks like, grown a respect for each other, the yellow tang has gone back to his normal self and the sailfin roams freely in the tank. The only time that seems to bother the 2 is when i clean the glass, that spooks them and in turn they spook each other, so i now wait till lights out and they are in their sleeping holes to clean the glass and it seems to be working. I think for now untill i move im gonna let them be, they both are doing well and seem to be happy but i wont be adding anything new untill after the move and i upgrade to a much bigger tank, unless its a coral or 2....but thanks again and ill keep posting if things change and need more advice..

Your tank is beautiful! Once upon a time a had a yellow (1st) then a purple in same 150g tank. They fought constantly... after a few weeks the yellow lost. Better watch them closely... They look good in there though

Back
Top Bottom