yellow tang- follow up question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTV

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I've determined that a tang of any sort is not suitable for my 46 gal tank. BUT...what if the long term plan is for a much bigger tank...150 or more...would the tang be OK in the smaller tank for the short term...maybe a year or so?

Let's think of it this way.

Would you be happy living in your bathroom for one year if you knew that after one year there was a "possibility" you would be able to move out into the rest of the house?

It's doable yes, but not neccessarily in the best interests of the fish. If you think you might get a bigger tank at a later date than I would suggest just waiting to get the tang.

Good luck. =)

:lol: CMD26. Good analogy :D But do you also remember going places when you were young (like 4-10) and everything seemed “larger then life” and when you visit them again as an adult (18+) you think everything looks smaller. My parents took me to Disneyland for the first time when I was 6 but we didn’t go back again until I was 15. I couldn’t believe how much smaller it was then I had remembered it.

I think the same applies to fish also where as a juvenile 3” tang would not feel cramped in a slightly smaller tank due to the fact it also isn’t 8” long yet. Keep in mind that YT grow on average of 2”-3” per year and will need that larger tank before getting beyond 5” IMO.

Also keep in mind that the tank/stand you are considering is $500 plus not even counting if you want it to be a reef setup which with lr and lighting is going to be closer to $3000.

Personally, I don't see a problem with getting a juvenile yellow tang with the intentions of only keeping it in a 3' tank for the first year. In fact, I may do the same....

I have friends with several huge tanks so I know I got several options for him once he starts getting cramped.

And personally, I don't see the problem with waiting.

There are plenty of other fish that would do fine in his set up. And since he's planning on getting a larger set up in the future than what is the big deal with waiting? In my opinion if it's going to be less than ideal for the fish than why do it. Especially since we all know that sometimes things don't work out as you plan and he may not get the larger set up. Then what does he do with the fish? I'm just not a big fan of the "when I get a larger tank" purchase rationale.

CMD26 said:
In my opinion if it's going to be less than ideal for the fish than why do it.
I can understand that he could just wait. I just don’t agree that it’s less then ideal for a juvenile fish to be housed in a slightly smaller tank. Even if he doesn’t get a larger tank he could give the fish away to a friend or most lfs would be glad to give a credit to purchase a new fish.

We are talking about a 46 gal and not a 20 gal tank. A 55 gal 4’ tank is the minimum for a yellow tang.

I have strong feelings about overstocking tanks with the goal of getting a larger tank but even then fish loads can be reduced at any time.

We are all responsible for adequately providing the best possible home for our aquatic life and we/I would not advise him that a slightly smaller tank is ok if we/I truly felt it would in any way harm the fish.

Having said all that I do highly respect your opinion on waiting though. As you said there are a TON of other fish to choose from that would not even require a tank upgrade in the future. I do love my yellow tang and he is a joy to watch but not so much more then the rest of my fish :D

In my opinion if it's going to be less than ideal for the fish than why do it.

It's only less than ideal AFTER the fish outgrows the tank in question. And I agree, it IS less than ideal to have a ADULT tang in such conditions.

he could wait.... All i'm saying is that I don't see a problem with housing a juvenile YT in a tank that size. If he keeps it in there longer than he should, then not cool. But if he takes good care of the fish and upgrades his tank at the right time, I got no issues with that.

Let's think of it this way.

Would you be happy living in your bathroom for one year if you knew that after one year there was a "possibility" you would be able to move out into the rest of the house?
????? Hummm..... Is there a frig and TV in the bathroom? :lol:

you guys are great! Thanks for the advice. At this point I'm going to do further research on the larger setup. I can't walk out today and drop 3grand but, with planning- its doable over the next year or so. Once I have my longterm plan in place, then I'll decide on the tang- like all of you, I want to be responsible with my fish.

Thanks!

Oh ...and by the way....I'm a SHE not a HE! lol

Sorry :oops: That’s why I usually try to address the name of the poster and not the gender :lol:

ryguy said:
Girl fish geeks are cool!!!

Ditto :D

Back
Top Bottom