Yellow Tang help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightryder1405

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long does it usually take for a YT to settle into a new home? I just added him yesterday and he is very skiddish and thrashing all around the tank. He is eating good, flakes mysis and seaweed. 60 gallon tank with about 50lbs of LR. 5 chromis, 2 true perc clowns, purple fire fish, cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, diamond goby, and a scooter blenny.

Thanks in advance.

How long does it usually take for a YT to settle into a new home? I just added him yesterday and he is very skiddish and thrashing all around the tank. He is eating good, flakes mysis and seaweed. 60 gallon tank with about 50lbs of LR. 5 chromis, 2 true perc clowns, purple fire fish, cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, diamond goby, and a scooter blenny.

Thanks in advance.

Well you have 11 fish in a 60g and the tang need more room, hes stressed... There is more than one way to overstock a tank. As he ages his territorial behavior will kick into overdrive.

Crystal A said:
Better watch out for the tang police.... They will tell ya the tank is to small...,.

Im pretty sure you just told him that? Lol

And yes get a bigger tank if you want the tang to be happy, or rehome him.

I knew the first thing ppl were gonna say was tank is to small lol..i been tryin to research it but everyone tells everyone their tank is to small..granted i only been in this hobby for 8 months but one thing i have learned is everyone has a diff opinion

For the most part he swims around relatively calmer now but as soon as someone moves in the room he starts goin crazy again

I won't beat on you anymore...as part of the tang police patrol. Try to be sure he has some good hiding holes. Tangs are skittish, especially in a small tank. They see their reflections in the tank and it can make them crazy. If he has a good place to dart in and hide it will help. If he stays stressed he will probably get ill and could affect the health of your other fish.

nightryder1405 said:
I knew the first thing ppl were gonna say was tank is to small lol..i been tryin to research it but everyone tells everyone their tank is to small..granted i only been in this hobby for 8 months but one thing i have learned is everyone has a diff opinion

For the most part he swims around relatively calmer now but as soon as someone moves in the room he starts goin crazy again

You won't find many different opinions on tangs and tank sizes.

I am a wanna be member of the tang police unfortunately and I will confirm that you are currently quite overstocked for a 60g tank. I have my tangs in a 6 foot tank which is the bare minimum as far as most forums and people in the hobby are concerned. You may see alot of tangs in small tanks on youtube but those are clearly people who did not research first. My yellow tang zooms from one end of the tank to the other most of the day, i wish i had a bigger tank for the 3 tangs I have but thats coming one day. lol

With that many fish in such a small tank you will most likely run into issues sad to say. Try to keep the tang fed well, make sure you have a piece of seweed out for him most of the time as well. A well fed tang can go a long ways in helping to keep him happy and aggression free. My yellow was a bit if a bully with the other fish but after like a month or so they all settled in well together. Just keep an eye on him is the best advice i can give you until you either reduce some stock or go bigger in tank size.

good luck!

Oh, I forgot to mention, I named my yellow tang "Twitchy" cause he seems to twitch and jerk around while he swims. lol Just part of their nature I guess. hehe

I def appreciate the help from everyone. As of right now there are 4 caves for him to choose from, which he utilizes cuz he def notices his reflection. Hunger wont be a prob cuz he is eating everythin i place in the tank. As far as the twitchin, maybe thats what mine is doing and im mistaken it for somethin else considering he is also very skiddish at this point in time.

Mine are all old and fat. They never stop moving until they bed down at night. They tend to dart around normally. If they are foraging, they are probably okay.

That would make sense. The only 2 fish seemed to be affected is the diamond goby, and anytime he gets close to the firefish it takes off to the other side of the tank. Thanks again for your advice

Back
Top Bottom