Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yellow Tang help

How long does it usually take for a YT to settle into a new home? I just added him yesterday and he is very skiddish and thrashing all around the tank. He is eating good, flakes mysis and seaweed. 60 gallon tank with about 50lbs of LR. 5 chromis, 2 true perc clowns, purple fire fish, cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, diamond goby, and a scooter blenny.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Better watch out for the tang police.... They will tell ya the tank is to small...,.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightryder1405 View Post
How long does it usually take for a YT to settle into a new home? I just added him yesterday and he is very skiddish and thrashing all around the tank. He is eating good, flakes mysis and seaweed. 60 gallon tank with about 50lbs of LR. 5 chromis, 2 true perc clowns, purple fire fish, cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, diamond goby, and a scooter blenny.

Thanks in advance.
Well you have 11 fish in a 60g and the tang need more room, hes stressed... There is more than one way to overstock a tank. As he ages his territorial behavior will kick into overdrive.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal A
Better watch out for the tang police.... They will tell ya the tank is to small...,.
Im pretty sure you just told him that? Lol

And yes get a bigger tank if you want the tang to be happy, or rehome him.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I knew the first thing ppl were gonna say was tank is to small lol..i been tryin to research it but everyone tells everyone their tank is to small..granted i only been in this hobby for 8 months but one thing i have learned is everyone has a diff opinion

For the most part he swims around relatively calmer now but as soon as someone moves in the room he starts goin crazy again
Old 08-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I won't beat on you anymore...as part of the tang police patrol. Try to be sure he has some good hiding holes. Tangs are skittish, especially in a small tank. They see their reflections in the tank and it can make them crazy. If he has a good place to dart in and hide it will help. If he stays stressed he will probably get ill and could affect the health of your other fish.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightryder1405
I knew the first thing ppl were gonna say was tank is to small lol..i been tryin to research it but everyone tells everyone their tank is to small..granted i only been in this hobby for 8 months but one thing i have learned is everyone has a diff opinion

For the most part he swims around relatively calmer now but as soon as someone moves in the room he starts goin crazy again
You won't find many different opinions on tangs and tank sizes.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am a wanna be member of the tang police unfortunately and I will confirm that you are currently quite overstocked for a 60g tank. I have my tangs in a 6 foot tank which is the bare minimum as far as most forums and people in the hobby are concerned. You may see alot of tangs in small tanks on youtube but those are clearly people who did not research first. My yellow tang zooms from one end of the tank to the other most of the day, i wish i had a bigger tank for the 3 tangs I have but thats coming one day. lol

With that many fish in such a small tank you will most likely run into issues sad to say. Try to keep the tang fed well, make sure you have a piece of seweed out for him most of the time as well. A well fed tang can go a long ways in helping to keep him happy and aggression free. My yellow was a bit if a bully with the other fish but after like a month or so they all settled in well together. Just keep an eye on him is the best advice i can give you until you either reduce some stock or go bigger in tank size.

good luck!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh, I forgot to mention, I named my yellow tang "Twitchy" cause he seems to twitch and jerk around while he swims. lol Just part of their nature I guess. hehe
Old 08-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I def appreciate the help from everyone. As of right now there are 4 caves for him to choose from, which he utilizes cuz he def notices his reflection. Hunger wont be a prob cuz he is eating everythin i place in the tank. As far as the twitchin, maybe thats what mine is doing and im mistaken it for somethin else considering he is also very skiddish at this point in time.

Tags
tan, tang, yellow, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com