Yellow tang question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive read they are schooling fish. Whats the minimum # you can keep without territory problems. How much does a medium yellow tank affect your fish load. Such as how many gallon per fish method. This is in regards to my 100 gallon reef tank. any help is appreciated.

I believe a grown tang is 5-7".. I mgiht be mistaken

Tho schooling htats a first to me. I haven't done much research on them as my tank is too small for one. Tho I do admire them as they are very cool. I have heard of them fighting one anothers. but not sure..

Jacob

Rule of thumb for keeping tangs is less than 2 or more than 4. They will shoal if you have enough of them. I recommend at least 6 (of the same species of course). That means a LARGE tank but it can be done.

Mark

Mark, How many yellow tangs would you suggest for the 100 gal tank that Micheal is working with?

Your recommendation of 6 seems a bit much for a 100 gal tank. Maybe 4 would do?

One side effect of several fish is that the agression can be spread out over the group of fish vs just toward 1 or 2 individuals.

I would have to think that 4 tangs in a 100 gal tank would just about do ya for fish.

What else where you wanting to keep?

I agree 100% with Anemoneman, but I'd like to add a small clarification.

When Yellow Tangs shoal they usually swim 2 or 3 feet apart. That is like their "personal space".

A tank able to house 6 Tangs with 4 - 9 square feet of "personal Space" for each fish would need to be at least a 700 gal, preferably 1000 gallons.

It's your tank and 6 tangs will fit in a 100 gal, but I would not expect them to live very long.

Well i definatly cant do four. although, i've always had success going a little heavy on the fish load. (good protein skimmer, weekly 10% water change, and a boatload of live rock). However I already have a pair of maroons one very large, one medium. Pair of neon dottybacks, full grown. pair of blue damsels one medium one small, and a medium dragon goby. I have over 300 lbs of lr crammed into my 100 gal. if i should include shrimp let me know. i was hoping for 3 small yellow tangs. probably pushin it. however i always say there are no rules in saltwater, just guidelines. Like for instance in the past i have had luck keeping 2 different angels in a tank, friends of mine have kept 3 and 4. well im rambling. Guess im out of luck on the tangs. maybe ill just do one.

How about some chromis ? I have three chromis and they are always swimming together. They would be a better schooling fish than tangs since they dont get that large.

A school of 6 would look nice in a 100 gal tank.

i think i will try chromises. plus there cheap and they look cool. is there a price difference between blue and greens.

Back
Top Bottom