Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #31
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Marine Head & Lateral Line Erosion: A Description of the Syndrome and a Review of its Speculated Causes by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Sounds like HLLE to me.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

The author has included a lot of speculations of what may cause the lateral line disease but they all come down to exposing the fish to stress which reduces their immune system.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
The fish has red dots on the body and could be just a skin infection and at the same time it's got lateral line disease. Both are symptoms of stress. Yes QT needs those hiding places. However, lowering the salinity is just one way of reducing the stress aside from other recommendations you mentioned. If there is no parasite like you believe so why bother for a garlic treatment?
I feel that almost any tank needs hiding places for fish to hide in. Tangs, angels, triggers and a variety of others need that safety in order to not stress. Its partially why you don't just leave QTs barren.

IMO, hypo can reduce stress, but its usually paired with the primary benefit of which is killing off "bad stuff" on the fish. Hypo, if not done properly can kill fish. I would not risk it for HLLE, as the fish still is not in a properly sized environment.

The garlic idea had nothing to do parasites. Garlic does nothing for them. It is supposed to increase a fishes interest in food (which I believe works in some cases) and it supposedly helps boost the immune system (which I believe is more due to the fish eating better than the actual garlic making the system stronger). If his fish is eating okay, it's probably not necessary, but it also could not hurt.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
The author has included a lot of speculations of what may cause the lateral line disease but they all come down to exposing the fish to stress which reduces their immune system.
There was a study that showed carbon filtration as a possible culprit. Nothing to do with stress, more with not having something necessary in the water that tangs need. They took away the carbon filtration and the fish got better.

Reduced immunity opens fish up to disease/parasites. My understanding of HlLE is that its a condition caused by stress (not exactly, but kinda like high blood pressure or headaches in humans) and that its not related to the immune system.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can only guess that the carbon they used may have been contaminated. Using carbon filter does not necessarily introduce some kind of stress to fish but it is on the contrary. It is also possible that individual fish can have different reactions to anything just like humans where some have allergy with something while others do not. Talking about blood pressure we know that stress is a contributing factor. I have a pet dog and she throws up riding a car in just a very short distance. It is also caused by stress or may be just an individual reaction.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

He dose have spaces to hide and hair algae on a website I hear that the yellow tang is 55 minimal I wil try to find him a home but I just love him :,(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3973832377.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	179740   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2952642864.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	179741  

Name:	image-2983863691.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	179742  
Old 06-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

No doubt it's a skin infection. You need to treat him with antibiotics. He is IMO stressed due to your water parameter. Your tank has no LR which makes him not to fell at home. You need to put a 2 1/2 inch PVC coupling in your tank as a hiding place. Please post your last water parameter readings. If you could also include your procedure when doing a partial water change. It seems you do not have a water surface agitation for oxygen and you need to add another power head for circulation. Your water temp probably is not well regulated.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

My yellow tang sleeps every night in her same cave. She even hovers around it when she knows it is close to bed time. Not giving them rock caves, is like not giving birds trees, they are just so much happier with them.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

I still am going with HLLE. That's typically what it is when you gets spots around the face and up the body. Infections can set in as a secondary concern and are important to take care of. The infection can clear up, but HLLE will not until things are changed to un-stress the fish (unless its a stray current or carbon issue, which is not that likely).

I do not see anything beyond the little gap under the submarine for hiding aces and that is a wide open hole. They need caves in rocks. Your setup really is never going to provide a secure feeling for any fish that needs that. Not trying to be mean, just honest, objective observation.

Yellow Tangs really need six foot tanks. You will see a variety of MINIMUM sizes across different websites, but I've never seen one suggest less than 75g. I have a 75g, but have had much larger tanks over the years. I've had Yellows and would never go less than 120g. Smaller Tangs like Tomini, Koles, etc are okay in a 75g. I like liveaquaria.com recommendations. they tend to ho larger than many other sites, but going larger cant hurt. going smaller can. There are people that will debate that to death, but most problems with fish come when the fish is in a tank that is too small for them. Not just Tangs, any fish.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Yellow Tangs really need six foot tanks. You will see a variety of MINIMUM sizes across different websites, but I've never seen one suggest less than 75g. I have a 75g, but have had much larger tanks over the years. I've had Yellows and would never go less than 120g. Smaller Tangs like Tomini, Koles, etc are okay in a 75g. I like liveaquaria.com recommendations. they tend to ho larger than many other sites, but going larger cant hurt. going smaller can. There are people that will debate that to death, but most problems with fish come when the fish is in a tank that is too small for them. Not just Tangs, any fish.
I am not sure if the people who keep saying these have really tried having these particular fish in smaller than 75 tanks and failed. I have a 60 gal and I have been keeping my 5-inch yellow tang for about a year now and so far she is healthy as can be (knock on wood). My Blue hippo was stressed out in my 60 gal and got sick. After treating him in my 5 gal QT I put him on a 28 gal nano and he likes it better there. I can see his progress and it's been about 3 months now and he is getting better and better. I'm now wondering if I am an exception to the rule. However, I am gonna upgrade my tank when the time comes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	YELLOW TANG 1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	179946   Click image for larger version

Name:	BLUE REGAL TANG.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	179947  

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com