Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with the prior statement that there is not a lot of black and white in saltwater aquariums, only guidelines. You certainly can't say that all equally sized fish would require equal living spaces. There are factors that come in to play that recommendations are based on. I doubt that stepping outside those guidelines means instant death to the fish, but I'm not sure I would pay zero attention to the suggested parameters and just throw any fish into any sized tank. Again, they might live, but it would not be ideal.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I fail to see any logical difference in possible effects between a 4" fish in a 36" tank and a 8" fish in a 72" tank. and 8" fish in a 36" tank yes, but that is an entirely different scenario. Would one recommend a 16" tang the same size tank as a 8" tang?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Here are a couple pics to add to the fire. These are pics of a 55g tank and a 75g tank, the 75 is the one loaded with rocks. Could someone kindly enlighten me as to how this is a more suitable home for a small tang than the 55 that doesn't have a huge mound of rock. There is way more swimming space in the 55 pictured than there is in the 75 so basing an argument solely on the "size" label of a tank is weak. The same can be said about a 6' tank, yes it has more linear space to swim but you start jamming rock in there that space disappears fast.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. Well done with the math. Your only problem is that fish, no matter the size, age, etc shouldn't be kept in a tank under the minimum requirements. I've seen many experienced saltwater enthusiasts state that its the minimum size FOR THE FISH. Not for the adult. If you want to do the math, measure your house, and raise your baby in something with the same ratio (size of yourself to the room/house) that you live in.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

To kdpuffer: yes it's jam packed with rocks, and in that picture, I agree with you you much. BUT usually there are caves and swimming lanes through the rock that aren't visible, so the room the rock takes up in completely free swimming space is made up by adding caves and small lanes.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Ok so in a 1000 sqft house it should be 166 square feet per 12" of person, I'm pretty sure a crib is smaller than that. Back onto fish, so a 1/2 tang fry has to have a 6' tank? I'm pretty sure grow out tanks are smaller in most cases. I'm not advocating stuffing a 16" tang in a 55 but I do fail to see how a 7" tang is to big for a 55 but in a 75 its ok. Last time I checked 4' is 4' on my tape measure. As long as the swimming lanes are provided just like any other tank I don't see an issue if the fish can swim up down and all around.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't keep your baby in a crib 24/7 do you??? That would be pretty sick of you ask me. Yes 4' is 4' on my tape measure too, but 18" isn't 12" on mine, not sure about yours though.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #28
Fish R friends, not food!

I think the issue is the swimming habits of the fish and not the size of the fish. Most tangs like to zoom from end to end of the tank, while cardinals and firefish and such sit in one place most of the time.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Honestly, the tang has some of the most arguable requirements in the hobby..

On the one hand, yes, pillow your math makes sense. But as aquarists, are we out to provide the bare minimum for our creatures? Are we always thinking about how we could cram more colorful fish into our tanks by bending the needs of these fish? I certainly try not to do that. And thats not somthing i would recommend to another aquarist either. If we know a fish is a big swimmer, regardless of its current size, i feel we should add it to a tank based upon its's ADULT size.

Also, just somthing to think about, is that the 75 gallon does offer a longer horizontal swimming path. In the 55, the tang would have to swim from corner to corner to swim the same distance and usually they wont.

Thats just my opinion! I dont want any fighting over such a controversial topic...
Old 08-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Exactly. Thats one of the reasons using the math in that situation was worthless. The recommended tank size for snowflake eels is a 55g tank. They get 2 feet long. If you apply that to all fish, that would mean you could keep a fish double the size of the width of your tank and half the length. That doesn't make sense. AT ALL.

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com