Yellow Tang Requirements??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As of right now I don't regret adding the blue tang, but he is still relatively small at about 5-6 inches. Believe it or not out of the three tangs the blue is the least active, but neverthe less he is still pretty much all over the tank all day but he spends alot of time perusing the rock work too. I am still planning on another upgrade this year so the blue will be even better in a bigger tank. :)

Glad this thread has gotten back on track! LOL

Steve silbernagel said:
Well I was looking into a 2" yellow tang for my 55g but after all that I'm not sure anymore

Lol lot of mixed reviews on this i housed a yellow tang for 3 years in a 55 never had any issues im settin up a 150 here very soon tho but do keep in mind that it will outgrow the 55 at some point and keep in mind most fish available for our hobby are not takin from the ocean but are tank raised

danbstrong said:
keep in mind most fish available for our hobby are not takin from the ocean but are tank raised

I wouldnt say that at all.

Once i asked the guy at the lfs how many of his fish were taken from the wild. He said like 98% of the ones in his shop did at least. Except for the clowns and occasional cardinals.

Its really tough to breed most sw fish...

Gboy66 said:
I wouldnt say that at all.

Once i asked the guy at the lfs how many of his fish were taken from the wild. He said like 98% of the ones in his shop did at least. Except for the clowns and occasional cardinals.

Its really tough to breed most sw fish...

I wouldn buy from that store then are you aware how they catch these wild fish if you knew then i doubt youd worry about tank size in the last 10 years or so many aquatic farms can now breed most species it used to be rare but now its more often i did a lil research on this very subject it is said that 1 out of every 6 is wild im sure some pet stores choose to obtain theirs from wild caught to get em cheaper wild caught fish will often stress easier and carry desease and parasites id buy fish from where youve been going

danbstrong said:
I wouldn buy from that store then are you aware how they catch these wild fish if you knew then i doubt youd worry about tank size in the last 10 years or so many aquatic farms can now breed most species it used to be rare but now its more often i did a lil research on this very subject it is said that 1 out of every 6 is wild im sure some pet stores choose to obtain theirs from wild caught to get em cheaper wild caught fish will often stress easier and carry desease and parasites id buy fish from where youve been going

Thats in my area the midwest i dont know about your area

danbstrong said:

Im curious to know which fish can be breed in captivity. I only know of 4 maybe 5 types that can be, and i honestly think thats it. Who knows, maybe you are right. If you have an article or something as proof i will definitly be interested

Hmm I have stayed out of this fray so far, but very few fish are tank raised in salt water. Clowns and cardinals often are tank raised, even then out of those two species more than 1 out of 6 will be wild caught. There are several species that won't spawn in captivity or do so very rarely. Some species the fry stay in a plankton stage so long that they are all taken out through filtration.

Ya that's what my lfs said too. 98-99% wild. Actually, I'd you look on LA, they charge more for tank raised and it specifically states tank raised f the fish are, and barely ANY are tank raised. It's very difficult to breed saltwater fish. You may be talking about freshwater??

crister13 said:
Ya that's what my lfs said too. 98-99% wild. Actually, I'd you look on LA, they charge more for tank raised and it specifically states tank raised f the fish are, and barely ANY are tank raised. It's very difficult to breed saltwater fish. You may be talking about freshwater??

Let me clarify i guess what i was meaning are fish farms which is a confined area in the ocean near reefs where the fish are farmed and raised in controlled invironment these fish are not poised with cyanide like wild caught ones are and most are tank raised from that point and ill see if i can find this article of actual captive breed fish theres way more than you think

danbstrong said:
Let me clarify i guess what i was meaning are fish farms which is a confined area in the ocean near reefs where the fish are farmed and raised in controlled invironment these fish are not poised with cyanide like wild caught ones are and most are tank raised from that point and ill see if i can find this article of actual captive breed fish theres way more than you think

Not to say it doesn't happen- but it's illegal to catch fish using the cyanide mixture. Many countries are testing for it now as well on imports.
The majority of fish found in the saltwater aquariums are in fact tank raised.
Main tank raised I can think of are clowns, cardinals, seahorses, mandarins, some gobies, some triggers, and some dottyback. Still a long way from being a majority. Also- most lfs sell wild caught because many of the companies that are raising fry are retailers and no retailer is willing to buy from another retailer to jack up the price and make a profit when the customer can buy from the original retailer.

A few years ago there was a thread about a Netting program for the native fishermen in the Indo-Pacific region. Many folks here donated a few dollars to help buy nets and teach the local population how to safely catch fish for export instead of using cyanide or dynamite.

BUT, this thread has now strayed far from the topic of "Yellow Tang Requirements".

So, when I bought my yellow tang it was about 2". Two years later it is about 4 ½" - 5". The growth rate the first year or two is rather rapid, then it slows down. Mine loves to dart in and out of the rock work as does the blue tang. The Sailfin is usually out front, but all three are grazers and all 3 race to my hand when I add fresh nori to the tank. Each takes their turn picking at the nori, and squabbling over the piece that breaks off. Sometimes it's cartoon like when 2 of them grab opposite ends and eat toward the middle <g>, till one of them breaks it off and swims in another direction. They are very entertaining and enjoyable to watch.

Back
Top Bottom