Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

I stated the baby fish in min size tank because if something comes up, you're not going to be able to get rid of the fish, and therefore stress it to death. Also, people who see the fish everyday don't see them grow, even thought they do grow quite a bit. People also have a tendency to "fall in love" with their fish and end up not doing whys right for them. I actually was not being disrespectful at all. I said I don't know the answer, and was wondering if you were basing you opinion of of freshwater, where you actually have experience. And he was talking about all fish.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #42
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

"Yes. Well done with the math. Your only problem is that fish, no matter the size, age, etc shouldn't be kept in a tank under the minimum requirements. I've seen many experienced saltwater enthusiasts state that its the minimum size FOR THE FISH. Not for the adult."
This is the statement I was going on when I said what I said. Now, you have said that it's because of people who don't upgrade. So, I had gotten confused.

So, does anybody else know about the growth rate of these tangs?

Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Growth rate depends on water parameters, and feeding schedule/amount. I have had mine for a year and it has grown a little, but I did get it at like 5" so it is close to full grown. Also, I am having an ongoing problem with nitrates which I am doing everything to stop, so probably they grow at a decent speed.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman
I think the issue is the swimming habits of the fish and not the size of the fish. Most tangs like to zoom from end to end of the tank, while cardinals and firefish and such sit in one place most of the time.
Agreed. MOST tangs (excluding those that would be fine in a 90, and those that require 300+ gallon) need a six foot swim room. It's not because of their size. It's because of the swimming habits.

Tangs are INFAMOUS for being easily stressed and ending up dead. If not from Ich- then something else. If we really want to get into it about Ich- look up the full life cycle. It's not over in 6-8 weeks. More like closer to 90 days. Once again- its a guideline. However- aren't there always exceptions to the rule?

You can shove 6 fish in a bio cube- but would you???
Old 08-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

And for the statement, if it is definitely a grow out tank, then it should be fine if AS SOON as the fish outgrows its tank, it's removed. This is usually looked over, hence the reason I said that. If its a fry, that's completely different as well.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

One last thing- most online sites wording is minimum tank size- not that the fish would be fine for its whole life in that tank. Please don't forget that cramming a fish into a tank that is too small stunts growth- and that takes years off of their life span.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
Growth rate depends on water parameters, and feeding schedule/amount. I have had mine for a year and it has grown a little, but I did get it at like 5" so it is close to full grown. Also, I am having an ongoing problem with nitrates which I am doing everything to stop, so probably they grow at a decent speed.
One year ago my doctor tang was 3.5 inches. He is now close to 7"
Old 08-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your water is good though!!! Hahaha. And you feed a good bit to the tangs!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #49
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

All - let's just keep the thread on track and on topic, and leave any personal feelings by the wayside. It appears we are on track now let's keep it that way, and thanks for that.

I will weigh in here... my disclaimer being that I have had a reef tank less than a year, so I am not drawing on my *vast* reef tank knowledge. What I will say is that we often get entrenched in what we feel is the "right" way to do something in this hobby when in fact there are often many correct solutions or answers. I think it is important to recognize that whenever you are approaching a debate about this hobby.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let's see take tang from ocean put it in 6 foot long tank ..let's face it we house wild animals in our homes and zoos for our enjoyment its all kinda cruel so to speak ..will a tang be fine in a 55 yes will it be any happier in a 200 sure I personally have never had my fish tell me they wanted to go back to the ocean so I assume there happy ...all this stuff is guide lines 2 foot of extra swimming room does not make that big of.a difference. Know if some one can prove like sharks for instance black tips can not be housed in a squared tank why they swim in circles so the square tank damages there fins .there is no concrete evidence saying two more feet will make it happier when they are wild and from the ocean ...just saying

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com