Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

As of right now I don't regret adding the blue tang, but he is still relatively small at about 5-6 inches. Believe it or not out of the three tangs the blue is the least active, but neverthe less he is still pretty much all over the tank all day but he spends alot of time perusing the rock work too. I am still planning on another upgrade this year so the blue will be even better in a bigger tank.

Glad this thread has gotten back on track! LOL

Old 08-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I was looking into a 2" yellow tang for my 55g but after all that I'm not sure anymore

Old 08-04-2012, 03:16 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve silbernagel
Well I was looking into a 2" yellow tang for my 55g but after all that I'm not sure anymore
Lol lot of mixed reviews on this i housed a yellow tang for 3 years in a 55 never had any issues im settin up a 150 here very soon tho but do keep in mind that it will outgrow the 55 at some point and keep in mind most fish available for our hobby are not takin from the ocean but are tank raised
Old 08-04-2012, 03:23 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

keep in mind most fish available for our hobby are not takin from the ocean but are tank raised
I wouldnt say that at all.

Once i asked the guy at the lfs how many of his fish were taken from the wild. He said like 98% of the ones in his shop did at least. Except for the clowns and occasional cardinals.

Its really tough to breed most sw fish...
Old 08-04-2012, 03:40 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

I wouldnt say that at all.

Once i asked the guy at the lfs how many of his fish were taken from the wild. He said like 98% of the ones in his shop did at least. Except for the clowns and occasional cardinals.

Its really tough to breed most sw fish...
I wouldn buy from that store then are you aware how they catch these wild fish if you knew then i doubt youd worry about tank size in the last 10 years or so many aquatic farms can now breed most species it used to be rare but now its more often i did a lil research on this very subject it is said that 1 out of every 6 is wild im sure some pet stores choose to obtain theirs from wild caught to get em cheaper wild caught fish will often stress easier and carry desease and parasites id buy fish from where youve been going
Old 08-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I wouldn buy from that store then are you aware how they catch these wild fish if you knew then i doubt youd worry about tank size in the last 10 years or so many aquatic farms can now breed most species it used to be rare but now its more often i did a lil research on this very subject it is said that 1 out of every 6 is wild im sure some pet stores choose to obtain theirs from wild caught to get em cheaper wild caught fish will often stress easier and carry desease and parasites id buy fish from where youve been going
Thats in my area the midwest i dont know about your area
Old 08-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Im curious to know which fish can be breed in captivity. I only know of 4 maybe 5 types that can be, and i honestly think thats it. Who knows, maybe you are right. If you have an article or something as proof i will definitly be interested
Old 08-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmm I have stayed out of this fray so far, but very few fish are tank raised in salt water. Clowns and cardinals often are tank raised, even then out of those two species more than 1 out of 6 will be wild caught. There are several species that won't spawn in captivity or do so very rarely. Some species the fry stay in a plankton stage so long that they are all taken out through filtration.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I found this article. They are raising a larger variety of fish at this company, but the fry are still wild caught.

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/cont...become-reality
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinKBreen
I found this article. They are raising a larger variety of fish at this company, but the fry are still wild caught.

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/cont...become-reality
Great article, very interesting to say the least!

But..still wild caught! Im still waiting for the article explaining how most fish in the trade arent wild caught

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com