Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese
So a naso tang is not good in that size tank? Okay, how about one of those blue Dory fish?

I was just kidding. But thank you for your replies...
You may have been kidding but Mr. Alvarez im sure was not when he was seeking legit advice.
I've been online since my first post and would not have left this thread without clearing up what I thought was the obvious. Mr. Alverez, judging by his initial post had a pretty good grasp of the tank size limitations for a yellow tang. In the future I will stick to lighthearted clever puns involving fish names and be sure to use multiple smiley faces to denote humor. I sorry...

Old 01-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
The internet forums in general, are tricky beasts at best. It is rather hard to tell sometimes without the use of the emoticons, just what people have in mind when they say something. The danger we run across here, because we are an advice forum, is with the newbie that comes along and reads the post. Not knowing a tang from a scooter blennie, he takes what he reads as gospel. (Especially if he is looking for some way to justify buying a fish that is inappropriate for his tank.) Because of this, we tend to jump on statements, like the one you made, with both feet. Thanks for understanding, it is not our intent to drive you from the boards with our prompt responses either.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good points.

I guess I thought that when I said, "He's always banging off the walls and doing silly stuff like that," it was a dead giveaway that I was kidding.

I guess I should have went with my initial idea: "Because my tank is small, I like to take my yellow tang out, put a leash on him and drag him around the kitchen floor to give him some exercise." J/K! :P

J/K = Just kidding.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
like to take my yellow tang out, put a leash on him
8O You take your fish out of the tank
Old 01-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reese now that one was a lot better....

Next time save the jokes till someone gives out some REAL advice.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

You mean if an Aquarium Advice FINatic with 5 of those fish things below their name says something like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman7010
yes you are right yellow tangs need more than 45 gallons of water. A smaller sized juvenile yellow tang should be fine in your 55 gallon aquarium just be sure to offer it plenty of freeze dried seaweed.
Then it will be okay to go ahead with the wacky stuff? Got it!

Old 01-03-2006, 04:06 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I knew that tangs got big, so I assumed Reese's post was a joke. The Dory fish joke kind of belittled but I'm a big boy I can take it. I had told my son already that if we start a 55 gallon saltwater tank then we are looking at Damsels, Clowns, and a few assorted others but Tangs are out.

He loves Tangs and was pretty bummed. If a tang is possible in a 55 gallon then I am sure he will be thrilled. So this is great news! You mentioned "small tangs" is there a certain name for them like a dwarf tang or something to ask a LFS for when I get the tank cycled and ready for adding fish and I am looking for a small tang?
Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:54 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like mentioned, the only tang to consider is the yellow tang. By small, I believe they mean young. To my knowledge, there isn't a dwarf type of tang and the yellow is the smallest. Getting a young one wouldn't be important to me since it's gonna grow up and still only have the same amount of swimming room either way. Just when aquascaping, be sure to leave plenty of swimming room. They never stop.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #19

I also will chime in and say that a Yellow Tang would be fine in no smaller than a 55. I have one and it is happy far as I can tell..."can't speak tang"... It is about 4" right now... So far so good....
Old 01-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tang loves to swim through the rockwork so I have lots of open space through the rock. Also while a yellow tang is fairly hardy when it comes to tangs it is best to add them later in the process as they tend to get possessive of their space. I've never had problems with mine being agressive though (not even to the purple that we have in there).

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan, tang, tank size, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com