Yellow tang temporary 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefer_gabe814

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I was wondering if i can keep a baby yellow tang in a 20 gallon tank until i upgrade to a 75 gallon tank in a couple months :thanks:

It will be fine. I have one in a 35g for QT before adding to my 240g. The bigger question is will it be okay in the upsized 75g tank? I'm a big fan of the "Tangs need a 6' tank to thrive" (bristletooth tangs are the exception and would do fine in a 75g).

Why not just wait until you set up the bigger tank (agree with Todd on tank size) to get a yellow? It's far more likely for it to get stressed and get sick in a 20 and probably won't make it to the big tank...

I have another question, will the scopas tang be the same as a yellow tang? I just love the look of yellow and scopas tangs. I think they look beautiful. What do you suggest?

Bristletooth Tangs (Kole, Tomini, etc) are the only Tangs that should go into a 75g, IMO. All others have swimming habits where anything less than a 6' tank is not enough. People will argue this forever, but from what I have seen over the years, it holds true. Tangs in smaller tanks tend to have health issues and often territorial issues. Tominis and Koles are both good- looking fish (especially if you can find a Tomini with bright orange on the fins) and they should be fine in a 75g.

I'm not trying to start a Tang Police debate here, just expressing my opinion based on lots of experience and observations over the years.

Honestly just wait until the 75 is set up. No need to subject an animal to more stress than necessary. Tangs have quite the bioload as well, even small ones.

My experience is that tangs are also uber sensitive. I'd recommend waiting until you have your 75 gal up and going.

Back
Top Bottom