Yellow tang's aggressive??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
How aggressive are the yellow tangs? Will they pose any threat to other fishes especially tang in general? Liveaquaria.com. says they are semi-aggressive and some people also reckon they attack other fishes. Anyone can comment before I add one of this into my tank please?

Also is it possible to keep nitrate at zero in a FOWLR tank? Or they are always presence in the tank? What is the safe level for NO3 for a fish only tank? How high can they tolerate NO3 to?

How big is the tank? no info is givin....also, tangs are not (usually) aggressive (exept against another tang in to small a tank), not that I have every heard of/ experienced!

I'm not a tang expert, but if you want to add more than one, put them in at the same time. It looks like they don't play well with other tangs.
weekf said:
Also is it possible to keep nitrate at zero in a FOWLR tank? Or they are always presence in the tank? What is the safe level for NO3 for a fish only tank? How high can they tolerate NO3 to?
Yes, my nitrAtes are at 0. Remember, nitrAtes are toxic, but not as toxic as nitrItes. 0 is better than any. I don't really want to speculate on "safe" levels of trAtes, since I don't really believe there should be a "safe" number, since they tend to be toxic to your critters. What are your trAtes at now? Lets try to sqwash that problem now.

It is a 132g tank will there still be any problem with other fishes?

My tank finished cycled after 3 weeks nitrate at 20ppm after 50% PWC nitrate at 10ppm. Cleaned the 2 canister filters during first PWC. Then added 10 chromis 3 days ago just tested nitrate still at 10ppm, 0 ammonia and nitrite.

Is there a way to reduce nitrate without doing PWC? Or PWC is the only way to go?

Thanks.

My 5" yellow is a brute, but mostly only to new fish, and sick fish. He'll playfully chase at other fish.

Had an anthias that got injured, then an infection set it - the tang kept smashing its tail into it.

He was also very mean to a 8" princess parrot (the tang was 4" at the time), chasing it non-stop, bashing its tail against it. Well, the tang came out for treatment for black spot ich, and a week later, he wasn't attacking the parrotfish anymore. Now they're best friends, and follow each other around all day like best buds.

He also rarely bothes my blue regal tang (about 4" now).

My yellow tang is the boss of the tank. He`s about 6 inches and is huge. He really does not bother anybody but everyone knows who is the boss.
And as far as nitrates I agree with Scott that you want to keep them as close to 0 as possible but while you`re figuring out how, being at 10 will be OK.

Back
Top Bottom