Yellow tang's diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is sushi nori all they eat?

My yellow tang has been in my tank for 3 days. He is still hiding. I mean, only when I am near the tank. He swims alright if I am not near the tank and he has been eating the sushi nori that I set up on the veggie clip.

But it is almost impossible to feed him other foods. I mean when I feed the mysis shrimps or any other food I will need to be close to the tank and that time he was hiding. But when I leave the tank he comes out swimming but most of the foods are gone consumed by my o.clown and 10 chromis.

Occasionally when there is still some stray foods left by those fish floating around when he comes out and sees it he will eat them. But I will need to throw in A LOT and I am worry that will foul up the water very soon. I personnally don't like to do a lot of feeding. Can I make an exception for this as he has also got 2 tiny black dots on his body which I think are black ichs. I think I'd better feed more during this period and will soak some food in garlic too to get him to eat so that he can fight off the ich.

Or is he going to suffer just eating sushi nori?

Yellow tangs are herbivores. He will be OK. The key is variety. I feed mine Seaweed selects,Grape calerpa,Prime reef, mega marine and Mysis Shrimp. Every once in a while I`ll put a piece of Broccli on the clip and he`ll eat all the buds off. Just some ideas to try.

Melosu58 - I've tried various vegatables (not broccoli though), and have never been able to get my YT to try them. He loves grape caulerpa like crazy, nori/seaweed, mysis, flakes, pellets, etc., but he won't touch real veggies.

Besides broccoli, what other veggies might work for a YT?

Back
Top Bottom