yellow watchman goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
any pros or cons for the yellow watchman goby? are they sandsfiters? do they share a burrow with a pistol shrimp? i am thinking of adding one to my 75g reef. i currently have a madarin, clown, bi color angel and kole tang.

steve r

I have had one for 2 years , very cool fish, it hangs out with its bud the pistol shrimp at all times. It doesn't sift the sand but man how the shrimp does , The shrimp bulldozes sand all day long.

Mine spewed sand everywhere! My tank would get cloudy from all the sand in the water column. It really bummed me out. He did a gainer out of the tank and died so I felt bad for all the bad thoughts I had about him.

Me too - no sand sifting, and contrary to what I read all over the internet - no jumping. I wouldn't worry about an open top. Mine never did pair with any of my pistols, but it seems to be the minority of them that don't.

I don't know about everyone else - but, mine stayed in his little whole all the time. Never really saw him much until feeding time. A cool fish though.

thats the input i am looking for. demodiki, how big was the tank yours was in. i dont really want a cloudy mess either.

steve r

I had him in a 55. I think at the time he was in there with a coral beauty and clown. Maybe most won't jump...but that guy sure did. I am just so glad that I didn't step on him after getting my coffee that morning. That would have started the day off very badly.

He jumped out of an area about 16 inches by 3 inches, too.

I have "had" 2. I confirmed that one jumped and died. The second hasn't been seen for almost 2 weeks. I am assuming he jumped as well and was found by one of my dogs. I will not be replacing the fish. Very nice to look at, but definitely jumpers.

just curious what was the sand bed and other substrate like in both of your tanks? any small rubble? it is my understnding that the goby family in general live in tide pools and will jump looking for another tide pool if they are not totally happy with thier enviroment. same with jawfish

steve r

dianeww said:
Would these guys be able to jump through egg-crate?

Mine did not. But make sure if you have things ontop of the tank like a HOB filter that when you cut the egg crate out around it, that its as close to the filter as possible. I cut one out one square to many and he jumped out of that. I replaced it and no one has jumped :)

Back
Top Bottom