Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yellow watchman goby

any pros or cons for the yellow watchman goby? are they sandsfiters? do they share a burrow with a pistol shrimp? i am thinking of adding one to my 75g reef. i currently have a madarin, clown, bi color angel and kole tang.

steve r

Old 01-06-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have had one for 2 years , very cool fish, it hangs out with its bud the pistol shrimp at all times. It doesn't sift the sand but man how the shrimp does , The shrimp bulldozes sand all day long.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine spewed sand everywhere! My tank would get cloudy from all the sand in the water column. It really bummed me out. He did a gainer out of the tank and died so I felt bad for all the bad thoughts I had about him.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Me too - no sand sifting, and contrary to what I read all over the internet - no jumping. I wouldn't worry about an open top. Mine never did pair with any of my pistols, but it seems to be the minority of them that don't.

I don't know about everyone else - but, mine stayed in his little whole all the time. Never really saw him much until feeding time. A cool fish though.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thats the input i am looking for. demodiki, how big was the tank yours was in. i dont really want a cloudy mess either.

steve r
Old 01-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had him in a 55. I think at the time he was in there with a coral beauty and clown. Maybe most won't jump...but that guy sure did. I am just so glad that I didn't step on him after getting my coffee that morning. That would have started the day off very badly.

He jumped out of an area about 16 inches by 3 inches, too.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have "had" 2. I confirmed that one jumped and died. The second hasn't been seen for almost 2 weeks. I am assuming he jumped as well and was found by one of my dogs. I will not be replacing the fish. Very nice to look at, but definitely jumpers.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just curious what was the sand bed and other substrate like in both of your tanks? any small rubble? it is my understnding that the goby family in general live in tide pools and will jump looking for another tide pool if they are not totally happy with thier enviroment. same with jawfish

steve r
Old 01-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would these guys be able to jump through egg-crate?
Old 01-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Civicman86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeww
Would these guys be able to jump through egg-crate?
Mine did not. But make sure if you have things ontop of the tank like a HOB filter that when you cut the egg crate out around it, that its as close to the filter as possible. I cut one out one square to many and he jumped out of that. I replaced it and no one has jumped

Tags
goby, yellow watchman goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com