Yellow Watchman Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a YWG about 4 months ago. It went into hiding immediately when introduced to the tank. I thought it was dead a couple times given I had only seen it dash out of sight when I entered the room. A couple days ago I was off work and he actually poked his head out to people watch me for about 15 minutes. Once I did get a good a good look at him (from a distance) his color wasn't great but he did not appear to be too skinny. Does anyone have some advice on food to offer him/her to coax it out. I was really hoping he would be the center of attention sitting frowning at everyone that looked but he stays hidden all the time. Every other fish I have swarms the front of the tank in hopes of being fed when someone enters the room.

Peace.

I have a pink spotted watchman and he eats flake and mysis. You might need to soak in garlic to get him started.

I agree, I soak all my frozen in garlic gard, zoe and selcon.

i had a ywg and he was a chicken, too. it took him months to come out to the open and even then, it was mostly at feeding time, but he did eventually come out more and more. im thinking of adding one to my tank, great personality once they do come out!

I feed mine using a turkey baster. Since learning to equate feeding time, the turkey baster and me w/ getting food, he has become a lot less shy. They are naturally very cautious fish though, regardless. HTH

Thanks. I think a lot of it may have to do with my kids jumping around and just generally being kids near the tank. Heck, it racks my nerves too (Not in a Alec Baldwin kinda way, more like in a exhausted parent kind of way..) Anyhow it managed to survive this long though I do not know on what. I will wait it out a little longer before using any additives. He is right where my small CBS is. I wonder if they hav buddy'd up..

I had the same issue. I feed my inhabitants Formula 1 and 2 small pellets soaked in Garlic Gard. After a couple of months, the YWG started to make regular appearances (I too origanally thought it was dead). Now it is constantly hanging out near his "cave." He is almost as entertaining as my pearly jawfish. Now that fish is a trip...

I`m glad he`s still around. I`ve not heard of watchman`s that hide that long but I`m sure there are some. I hope all goes well.

I thought mine was dead and did not see him for months in my 20 fuge, then one day he came out. I was trying to catch him for months so he hide from me.
Just a FYI as they get older they lose there yellow color and it turns a green/gray/yellow color. Not a pretty fish when they get old..

Hes poked his head out almost every other evening now. Quite a surpise given he was hidden for so long. I think the fish is put off by my kids when the get around the tank. They make a lot of noise and jump around. Motion will scare him back into his hideout. I haven't fed him, directly, all this time so I have no idea what he's been living on. I do have pods that grow very well in some chaeto and in the skimmer. I've not read that they eat pods but if you get hungry enough...

I sometimes take pellet food and place it front of his peeking hole. Acutally reach down to the bootm of the tank and place it right there. After a while, my goby actually knows that's what I'm about to do and he'll sit there and wait. 'Course he's gotte come back out and eat it before the shrimps and other fish get there. I drop food on the other side of the tank at the same time to keep the other fish busy/distracted.

Back
Top Bottom