Yellow Watchman Goby vs. Flame Hawkfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natterjak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm trying to decide on a bottom/rock dweller for my 70g, and am debating between a Yellow Watchman Goby and a Flame Hawkfish. From what I've read about the Hawkfish, it wouldn't be a good idea to keep both, so I'd have to choose just one. Any opinions on which would be better? They both seem to have a lot of personality.

If you wanna do shrimp later, I think the hawkfish might eat'm. I have a wathcman and a pistol shrimp combo. Great team, but sometimes the pistol moves more sand than I'd like. From what I hear, the goby by itself will be just fine.

I was planning on getting a pistol shrimp if I got the goby...is the sand moving a big problem?

I suggest the yellow watchman/pistol shrimp pair. They can be very entertaining to watch. I have not had any issues with the sand. Although they do have a pretty extensive tunnel system under my LR.

Not a big problem. Although the sand in the back of the tank looks to be about 1" or less deep now. The front is at about 2-3". When I se too much new sand in the front. I just push it back down the holes - - gotta let him know I'm in charge. Yeah, right. :? A lotta times, the holes he comes out of (and that the watchman watches) are covered the next day, and opended back up again. He just likes to push.

Anyway, if you do a pistol, make sure your rock is firmly planted on the bottom of the tank. Don't want the tunneling to cause an avalanche. Anyway, sounds like you want some thngs in your tank that the hawkfish might eat. Didja look it up yet? I'm being lazy. :roll:

OK. I've decided to get off my behind and stop being lazy. I've copied some stuff for hawkfish for you or others who may be wondering. And just as I thought, small bottom dwellers beware!!

Diet & Feeding: The Flame Hawkfish is a carnivore with a diet preference for small crustaceans, some sessile as well as motile invertebrates. It will eat feather dusters and ornamental shrimps, as well as may pick hermit crabs and snails right out of their shells! Even though fish are not a preferred food source, they may try and eat smaller fish if the opportunity arises.

Okay, sounds like the hawkfish is out - I have a bunch of snails/hermits as well as a peppermint shrimp. Thanks for the info. :)

My LR isn't placed on the bottom, I just kind of pushed them into the sand as much as I could. The pieces I have at the foundation are all very large, wide-bottomed pieces, so hopefully a few tunnels won't be too problematic.

Thanks for all the help!

Don't count out the hawkfish too soon. I just purchased a pixie hawk and it instantly became my favourite. It is just hilarious to watch them climb all over the rock and everything else in the tank. Mine acts more like a squirrel in a tree than a fish.

Back
Top Bottom