yellow watchmen or orange spotted goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure about the orange spotted but I have a yellow watchman and I don't think they are effective at moving sand. At leasst mine isn't. If you want sand movement a sand sifting starfish or sand sifting snails are a good choice.

I have a yellow watchman and it does not move sand. However, the pistol shrimp he is paired with is a bull-doozing machine. Truely an amazing relationship to watch. Yellow watchman/pistol pair get my vote.

Yes, the relationship they form in the wild is similar to that of the symbiotic relationship of the clownfish and anenome. The pistol shrimp digs caves for the goby to live in and the goby protects the shrimp from predators. The "watchman" keeps a look out for danger and when the pistol is out of the hole it always keeps on anteni in contact with the goby's body. Amazing to watch. I have a couple not-so-good pics of the two in my gallery is you are interested.

I have an orange spotted Goby and a Tiger Pistol. The pistol is constantly digging somehwere and if the goby is in the way he just plows the sand under him and the Goby just sits there moving up higher and higher. They are by far the funniest thing to watch in my tank. I highly recommend the combo.

How about a mated pair of two spot gobies? They sift sand constantly yet don't move too much like those 3 - 4" gobies, who can create huge dunes in 2 minutes time. They skim the top 1/4". That what you looking for or the big movers? I had a couple before a velvet outbreak. Haven't found a pair since. The watchman/pistol combo would be fun too.

Hoping the 2 spots would be hardy. Wonder if anyone has some experience with'm?

thanks for all your help!! lando i think i'm going with what you have that looks so pretty. i had a orange spotted that did great, but my pacific blue tang got to big and harrassed and ate him. blue tang was caught and given to lfs for credit. thanks again

yes finally! I had seen that relationship with shrimp and a goby on discovery channel and wondered what goby and shrimp to get.Lando,Mr crabs, do you guys know if any shrimp/goby combo will do this?

Do the shrimp/gobie pairs need to be fed twice a day? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere...

Mine only get feed every three days with the rest of the tank. No problems.

Back
Top Bottom