Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2004, 01:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

yellow watchmen or orange spotted goby

Which one is better at moving my sand? More all over than just one spot?

72 gal bow front. cpr dual bak pak skimmer, 20 gal sump, approx 85lbs LR, 260watt power compact, two moonlight leds, (2)65w actinic, (2)65w 10k, 2 fire shrimp, 47 hermit crabs, 80 snails, peppermint shrimp, yellow tang, flame angel, 2 Oce clownfish, lawnmower blenny, coral beauty angel, lyretail anthias, 3 feather dusters, magnificent anemone, candy coral, yellow cucumber, 2 pulsing xenia, torch coral, mushrooms, condy anemone
SALTY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not sure about the orange spotted but I have a yellow watchman and I don't think they are effective at moving sand. At leasst mine isn't. If you want sand movement a sand sifting starfish or sand sifting snails are a good choice.

Old 11-07-2004, 05:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a yellow watchman and it does not move sand. However, the pistol shrimp he is paired with is a bull-doozing machine. Truely an amazing relationship to watch. Yellow watchman/pistol pair get my vote.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

do they normally form relationships lando?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, the relationship they form in the wild is similar to that of the symbiotic relationship of the clownfish and anenome. The pistol shrimp digs caves for the goby to live in and the goby protects the shrimp from predators. The "watchman" keeps a look out for danger and when the pistol is out of the hole it always keeps on anteni in contact with the goby's body. Amazing to watch. I have a couple not-so-good pics of the two in my gallery is you are interested.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:07 PM   #6

I have an orange spotted Goby and a Tiger Pistol. The pistol is constantly digging somehwere and if the goby is in the way he just plows the sand under him and the Goby just sits there moving up higher and higher. They are by far the funniest thing to watch in my tank. I highly recommend the combo.
Remora Aqua C Protein Skimmer
2 Percula Clowns
1 Orange Spotted Watchman Goby
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
5 Emerald crabs
10 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
10 Turbo Snails
10 Astraea Conehead Snails
Mr Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 08:06 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

How about a mated pair of two spot gobies? They sift sand constantly yet don't move too much like those 3 - 4" gobies, who can create huge dunes in 2 minutes time. They skim the top 1/4". That what you looking for or the big movers? I had a couple before a velvet outbreak. Haven't found a pair since. The watchman/pistol combo would be fun too.

Hoping the 2 spots would be hardy. Wonder if anyone has some experience with'm?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:54 PM   #8

thanks for all your help!! lando i think i'm going with what you have that looks so pretty. i had a orange spotted that did great, but my pacific blue tang got to big and harrassed and ate him. blue tang was caught and given to lfs for credit. thanks again

72 gal bow front. cpr dual bak pak skimmer, 20 gal sump, approx 85lbs LR, 260watt power compact, two moonlight leds, (2)65w actinic, (2)65w 10k, 2 fire shrimp, 47 hermit crabs, 80 snails, peppermint shrimp, yellow tang, flame angel, 2 Oce clownfish, lawnmower blenny, coral beauty angel, lyretail anthias, 3 feather dusters, magnificent anemone, candy coral, yellow cucumber, 2 pulsing xenia, torch coral, mushrooms, condy anemone
SALTY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes finally! I had seen that relationship with shrimp and a goby on discovery channel and wondered what goby and shrimp to get.Lando,Mr crabs, do you guys know if any shrimp/goby combo will do this?
Old 11-09-2004, 04:33 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

PiscesLou, check liveaquaria.com. They got a section for shrimp gobies. There's maybe 6 or so of'm to choose from.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com