Yellowish water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midol

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, i have had my tank since the 23rd of april and it has been running non stop since then with my Pro Aqua CFD-1200 external filter and my lifetech AP1500F powerhead, it is a 280L tank and well, the water looks like someone took a piss in it, a big piss.

Will this color settle down?

Also, since i took water straight out of the ocean the water is slowly evaporating leaving salt in there which increases the salinity obviously now if i keep adding water with salt the salinity levels will be ultra high soon so to replace evaporated water can i just use fresh water?

The colour is probably due to it being real ocean water. You likely got some living things in it (microscopic) that died and stained the water. You may also have got tanin stained water if there is an estuary around.

Yes, just top up with fresh water.

FW is really my area so I hope answer to the first question is on track.

Yes running carbon will clear up the yellow part of the water. You also need to start a regular water change schedule. You need to be topping your tank of with freshwater to replaced the evaporated saltwater. This will keep the salinity from climbing since salt does not evaporate adding freshwater back just replentishes whats been evaporated.

Can i just pick carbon up at any fish shops? Is it a liquid?

Also, how often should i be testing my water for the nitrites, nitrates and the other one which my mind just blanked out?

Back
Top Bottom