Yellowtail coris wrasse- help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi

I am a beginner, research (too much out there) and have just started adding fish and tell all LFS my set up ( 169 litres...hard and soft corals incl bubble anemone,2 wavemakers, DOC skimmer, phosphate reactor, sump) and newly purchased fish under advice as being reef friendly and compatible ie blue tang, sailfin, dotty back, 2 clarke clowns and yellow mimic which had a spot and died the 2nd day)

I have today bought what turns out to be a yellowtail coris wrasse and after researching, it has teeth, is apparently NOT reef friendly even though I asked for reef friendly fish ( is this because it disrupts rocks or eats corals? ) it eats snails, worms- good and bad and crabs ( I have a small hitch hiker ) and can die of starvation as it needs to be fed 3x daily. The LFS only told me they like to feed off rocks which was fine but I panicked when it buried itself under the sand and didn't resurface- hence the research.

What do I do? It should be in a minimum tank size of 100 gals ie twice the current size and will it eat my corals? Has anyone else kept one in a set up like mine with no problems? Maybe I need to return it to the LFS? It's so attractive I will be disappointed but need to look after the reef tank as a whole as well as my new friend.:confused:

Sounds like your LFS has been giving you some bad advice for sure :( neither of those tangs are suited to your tank size and the coris wrasse will eat your corals and inverts. Does that work out to 40g? Is it a 4ft tank? I have less fish than that in my 55g (220litres) if you plan a healthy reef then I suggest returning it for a reef safe wrasse or some other lovely small fish :)

WOW! I think Bectan has understated the advice your LFS is giving you. It's not just "bad", it borders on evil. I think when you walk into the store they say "watch what I can sell this guy". You should really post the name of the store in the regional forum as a warning to other buyers.
Fully grown, I don't think you'll be able to fit a Blue (1ft) and Sailfin Tang (1ft 3 inch) in the same 45 gal tank. They both require a 180 gal tank minimum (680litre). Clarkii are very territorial clowns, I had one and he laid a licking on everyone in the tank. If they decide to host an anemone, you might be OK tho. There could be some fighting between the dottyback and the clowns tho if the clowns try to bully the dottyback.
Good Luck

Sounds like your LFS has been giving you some bad advice for sure :( neither of those tangs are suited to your tank size and the coris wrasse will eat your corals and inverts. Does that work out to 40g? Is it a 4ft tank? I have less fish than that in my 55g (220litres) if you plan a healthy reef then I suggest returning it for a reef safe wrasse or some other lovely small fish :)
Thanks. I questioned the tangs with the first LFS and he assured me that they take years to grow and would be fine in my size tank. I was too excited at the time and believed him. I am sure I will buy a larger tank within 12mths as I just love the marine. Will have to sell my 2 x 4ft cichlid tanks so I can make some room to fit one. I will be taking the wrasse back to the LFS after I ring today.

Thanks and agree totally. Will be looking for a larger tank and will be taking back the wrasse. I did find one LFS who took the time to look up the rusty angel I had bagged up by the other sales person as she disagreed with him and then confirmed it was not reef friendly. It went back into their tank.:(

Ingy I have posted the same message against Bectan01. Not sure what I am doing wrong with this forum. Can''t get my tank right nor my responses on a forum...not off to a good start:(

I have a yellow coris, he's perfectly fine. Maybe hermits are on the list but mine never bothers anything.they won't eat corals and the green one is more aggressive. I also have a Melanurus wrasse listed not reef safe but he hunts constantly with only a few blue legged hermits lost.

I have had a yellow coris since he was about 1/2" big! He's now around 3,1/2" inches and never had a problem. I think they are reef safe with caution cause they might go after feather dusters or it food they catch and hurt them at the same time

I have six of them in my 300. They are great reef fish in a system big enough for them. Biggest one is 4". I don't keep feather dusters, as that's wrasse food.

I have a yellow coris, he's perfectly fine. Maybe hermits are on the list but mine never bothers anything.they won't eat corals and the green one is more aggressive. I also have a Melanurus wrasse listed not reef safe but he hunts constantly with only a few blue legged hermits lost.
Thanks-I think my message went private?

I have had a yellow coris since he was about 1/2" big! He's now around 3,1/2" inches and never had a problem. I think they are reef safe with caution cause they might go after feather dusters or it food they catch and hurt them at the same time
Thanks- I have figured my message went private

Hi I think the yellow coris is smaller than the red ( yellow fin). What size tank do you have him in?

Hi

I am a beginner, research (too much out there) and have just started adding fish and tell all LFS my set up ( 169 litres...hard and soft corals incl bubble anemone,2 wavemakers, DOC skimmer, phosphate reactor, sump) and newly purchased fish under advice as being reef friendly and compatible ie blue tang, sailfin, dotty back, 2 clarke clowns and yellow mimic which had a spot and died the 2nd day)

I have today bought what turns out to be a yellowtail coris wrasse and after researching, it has teeth, is apparently NOT reef friendly even though I asked for reef friendly fish ( is this because it disrupts rocks or eats corals? ) it eats snails, worms- good and bad and crabs ( I have a small hitch hiker ) and can die of starvation as it needs to be fed 3x daily. The LFS only told me they like to feed off rocks which was fine but I panicked when it buried itself under the sand and didn't resurface- hence the research.

What do I do? It should be in a minimum tank size of 100 gals ie twice the current size and will it eat my corals? Has anyone else kept one in a set up like mine with no problems? Maybe I need to return it to the LFS? It's so attractive I will be disappointed but need to look after the reef tank as a whole as well as my new friend.:confused:

I have six of them in my 300. They are great reef fish in a system big enough for them. Biggest one is 4". I don't keep feather dusters, as that's wrasse food.

Just to clarify, are you talking about the yellow Coris wrasse ( Halichoeres chrysus) or the yellowtail Coris wrasse ( Coris Gamaird) ?

Just to clarify, are you talking about the yellow Coris wrasse ( Halichoeres chrysus) or the yellowtail Coris wrasse ( Coris Gamaird) ?

Mine are (6) yellow coris wrasse and one huge mellinarus wrasse. I have a six line and a exquisite wrasse in my 30 gallon soft coral tank.

And DI68, were you referring to the Yellow coris ( Halichoeres chrysus) or the yellowtail coris ( Coris gamaird) ?
I just thought Greg was talking about a different fish that you were. I do know Coris gamaird ( common name Yellowtail Coris wrasse) is not a reef safe fish. For one, they are a meat eater so there go any shrimps, crabs or lobsters, clams, oysters or mussels. They also get very large and what they lack in length, they make up with height and girth. ( We referred to adults as Submarines cause they had such a presence.) This is a far cry from the yellow coris wrasse. ; )

Back
Top Bottom