Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think you can find active fish with better looks and personalities that fit better with your tank. Although I did like the domino damsels personality, but the yellow tails and three striped were not really all that interesting just mean as hell. I'll never put a damsel in my tank again, I gave them a shot because in many ways they are great reef fish( good looking, cheap, hardy, tolerant of some minor mistakes, ect) but their aggressiveness outweighs all their redeeming qualities.
If you do go with damsels maybe just get other fish that have aggression issues as well for tank mates like maybe maroon clowns, chromis, basslets, that combo may make things worse but maybe they will all be mean enough to coexist together,

Old 08-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've got a yellowtail that has never shown aggression. My Bangaii cardinal picks on him sometimes.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to KSum89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryzz
I've got a yellowtail that has never shown aggression. My Bangaii cardinal picks on him sometimes.
I was at the store yesterday, there were 4 damsels. There were 2 small ones and 2 bigger ones. I was tempted to buy the smallest one that was getting bullied.. He never showed any aggression either. This thread made me not take a chance on it... I really like their blue color.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also the problem with adding the damsel if you decide later that it is too mean and want to get rid of it, it's a MAJOR pain in the .... to catch those buggers! If you want a small blue fish there is a blue reef chromis similar to the green chromis that are pretty and not as aggressive as the yellowtail I believe.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

The beauty and color of the yellow tail and in my case the azure damsel was the main reason I got them in the first place. I was and still am like you in the sense that I wanted certain color fish and certain quantity also. But size of your and my aquarium ultimately determine what we can put in it.

And let me tell you from experience, damsels are aggressive and a total ***** to catch with a decorated aquarium.

But if your set on buying one, by all means get one or two. And be the judge for yourself, in my time in this hobby people can be wrong in assuming things about certain fish, and they can be totally wrong. Each individual fish is different. What I mean is I started off with 3 azure's and now only have one in my tank, he's still "curious" but not as aggressive as the last two. He won't nip at my maroon clown like the other one did, and is only semi-aggresive, not harmful to other fish that swim by his part of the tank.

All in all, its up to u. Good luck

mikestanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:41 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I used 3 dominos, 2 three stripes, and 2 yellow tails to start my tanks up and the yellow tails are perfect fish also worked out well over the course of a few other tanks we have done in the last few months but the domino and three stripe are definatley the devil!!! And as someone else said good luck getting them out hope your sick of your current scaping
Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a maroon clown, yellow tail damsel, and watchman goby with no issues. I think my maroon clown keeps him in check.

Tags
damsel, yellowtail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com