Yellowtail Damsel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KSum89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I Know these fish are the "devil" fish for their aggresiveness, but i heard that Yellowtails are more peaceful of the damsel family. I really like their blue color and would like to try to add one... U guys think it would work in my 55? I currently have a 2 percula clowns, sixline, engineer goby and Longnose hawk.

Its always better to add the more aggressive fish at the end, so I've heard. And a 55g is big enough for a small school of 3, but hold on a minute..... I have definitely called those fish the "devil" more than once! I put 3 (azure damsels)in my 30g, which I know now is to small and they ran than tank like little thugs. Damsels are territorial fish by nature, although they are some of my favorite fish to look at, they can be a nuisance on your other fish in my opinion.

Your tank is big enough for 2 or 3 but If I were you I wouldn't add any, but since I'm not you I would only add 1, that is smaller than your percula's so they have a chance to grow larger. There is a chance that they will harm, nip, and or annoy your clown's to death.

Hope this help's

Also I was told the same thing about my (azure damsels) more than likely your LFS was just trying to make a buck. But in this hobby its all trial and error, that's why this fourm is so great!

I like those damsels but the fact that they are aggressive is a deal breaker.

They are least aggressive when compared with other damsels, but they will be the most aggressive in your tank. I started my tank with 2 yellow tails , 2 dominos , and one three stripe, and gave the the dominos and three stripe to a friend keeping the 2 yellow tails thinking they were not aggressive at all compared to the dominos and the three stripe, then I added a couple gobies, a pair of snowflake clowns, and a six line, all over a few months, and once the yellow tails figured out that they were now the boss of the tank they harrassed all the other fish except the clowns, they especially picked on the six line.

Also they are hard to get out, I've caught my clowns before and they are easy they are pretty trusting of me where the damsels go straight into the rocks anytime a net is near the tank, so if you put some damsels in be prepared to basically break down your tank to get them back out.

Saratj1 said:
They are least aggressive when compared with other damsels, but they will be the most aggressive in your tank. I started my tank with 2 yellow tails , 2 dominos , and one three stripe, and gave the the dominos and three stripe to a friend keeping the 2 yellow tails thinking they were not aggressive at all compared to the dominos and the three stripe, then I added a couple gobies, a pair of snowflake clowns, and a six line, all over a few months, and once the yellow tails figured out that they were now the boss of the tank they harrassed all the other fish except the clowns, they especially picked on the six line.

Also they are hard to get out, I've caught my clowns before and they are easy they are pretty trusting of me where the damsels go straight into the rocks anytime a net is near the tank, so if you put some damsels in be prepared to basically break down your tank to get them back out.

+1 ive had issues with my yellow tail hard to put anything same size or smaller in tank . Ive gone as far as googling damsel X but no luck.

ive always been told the blue-green are the less aggressive and the domino was the real devil. I have two yellowtails and they are pretty cool. My domino on the other hand......

I wanted a blue fish, since a blue tang would get too big for my tank. I guess i will pass on the damsel

Now I know they are not deep blue in color but what about a small school of green chromis? They are less aggressive.

Yea i was looking at a school of those in my lfs monday morning. They look like boring fish lol.. Im picky of what i add. Besides the bright color of damsels, they are always on the move swimming and darting between rocks.

I think you can find active fish with better looks and personalities that fit better with your tank. Although I did like the domino damsels personality, but the yellow tails and three striped were not really all that interesting just mean as hell. I'll never put a damsel in my tank again, I gave them a shot because in many ways they are great reef fish( good looking, cheap, hardy, tolerant of some minor mistakes, ect) but their aggressiveness outweighs all their redeeming qualities.
If you do go with damsels maybe just get other fish that have aggression issues as well for tank mates like maybe maroon clowns, chromis, basslets, that combo may make things worse but maybe they will all be mean enough to coexist together,

I've got a yellowtail that has never shown aggression. My Bangaii cardinal picks on him sometimes.

Pryzz said:
I've got a yellowtail that has never shown aggression. My Bangaii cardinal picks on him sometimes.

I was at the store yesterday, there were 4 damsels. There were 2 small ones and 2 bigger ones. I was tempted to buy the smallest one that was getting bullied.. He never showed any aggression either. This thread made me not take a chance on it... I really like their blue color.

Also the problem with adding the damsel if you decide later that it is too mean and want to get rid of it, it's a MAJOR pain in the .... to catch those buggers! If you want a small blue fish there is a blue reef chromis similar to the green chromis that are pretty and not as aggressive as the yellowtail I believe.

The beauty and color of the yellow tail and in my case the azure damsel was the main reason I got them in the first place. I was and still am like you in the sense that I wanted certain color fish and certain quantity also. But size of your and my aquarium ultimately determine what we can put in it.

And let me tell you from experience, damsels are aggressive and a total ***** to catch with a decorated aquarium.

But if your set on buying one, by all means get one or two. And be the judge for yourself, in my time in this hobby people can be wrong in assuming things about certain fish, and they can be totally wrong. Each individual fish is different. What I mean is I started off with 3 azure's and now only have one in my tank, he's still "curious" but not as aggressive as the last two. He won't nip at my maroon clown like the other one did, and is only semi-aggresive, not harmful to other fish that swim by his part of the tank.

All in all, its up to u. Good luck

I used 3 dominos, 2 three stripes, and 2 yellow tails to start my tanks up and the yellow tails are perfect fish also worked out well over the course of a few other tanks we have done in the last few months but the domino and three stripe are definatley the devil!!! And as someone else said good luck getting them out hope your sick of your current scaping

I have a maroon clown, yellow tail damsel, and watchman goby with no issues. I think my maroon clown keeps him in check.

Back
Top Bottom