Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to KSum89
Yellowtail Damsel

I Know these fish are the "devil" fish for their aggresiveness, but i heard that Yellowtails are more peaceful of the damsel family. I really like their blue color and would like to try to add one... U guys think it would work in my 55? I currently have a 2 percula clowns, sixline, engineer goby and Longnose hawk.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its always better to add the more aggressive fish at the end, so I've heard. And a 55g is big enough for a small school of 3, but hold on a minute..... I have definitely called those fish the "devil" more than once! I put 3 (azure damsels)in my 30g, which I know now is to small and they ran than tank like little thugs. Damsels are territorial fish by nature, although they are some of my favorite fish to look at, they can be a nuisance on your other fish in my opinion.

Your tank is big enough for 2 or 3 but If I were you I wouldn't add any, but since I'm not you I would only add 1, that is smaller than your percula's so they have a chance to grow larger. There is a chance that they will harm, nip, and or annoy your clown's to death.

Hope this help's

mikestanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also I was told the same thing about my (azure damsels) more than likely your LFS was just trying to make a buck. But in this hobby its all trial and error, that's why this fourm is so great!

mikestanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like those damsels but the fact that they are aggressive is a deal breaker.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They are least aggressive when compared with other damsels, but they will be the most aggressive in your tank. I started my tank with 2 yellow tails , 2 dominos , and one three stripe, and gave the the dominos and three stripe to a friend keeping the 2 yellow tails thinking they were not aggressive at all compared to the dominos and the three stripe, then I added a couple gobies, a pair of snowflake clowns, and a six line, all over a few months, and once the yellow tails figured out that they were now the boss of the tank they harrassed all the other fish except the clowns, they especially picked on the six line.

Also they are hard to get out, I've caught my clowns before and they are easy they are pretty trusting of me where the damsels go straight into the rocks anytime a net is near the tank, so if you put some damsels in be prepared to basically break down your tank to get them back out.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratj1
They are least aggressive when compared with other damsels, but they will be the most aggressive in your tank. I started my tank with 2 yellow tails , 2 dominos , and one three stripe, and gave the the dominos and three stripe to a friend keeping the 2 yellow tails thinking they were not aggressive at all compared to the dominos and the three stripe, then I added a couple gobies, a pair of snowflake clowns, and a six line, all over a few months, and once the yellow tails figured out that they were now the boss of the tank they harrassed all the other fish except the clowns, they especially picked on the six line.

Also they are hard to get out, I've caught my clowns before and they are easy they are pretty trusting of me where the damsels go straight into the rocks anytime a net is near the tank, so if you put some damsels in be prepared to basically break down your tank to get them back out.
+1 ive had issues with my yellow tail hard to put anything same size or smaller in tank . Ive gone as far as googling damsel X but no luck.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ive always been told the blue-green are the less aggressive and the domino was the real devil. I have two yellowtails and they are pretty cool. My domino on the other hand......
Old 08-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wanted a blue fish, since a blue tang would get too big for my tank. I guess i will pass on the damsel
Old 08-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Now I know they are not deep blue in color but what about a small school of green chromis? They are less aggressive.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea i was looking at a school of those in my lfs monday morning. They look like boring fish lol.. Im picky of what i add. Besides the bright color of damsels, they are always on the move swimming and darting between rocks.

Tags
damsel, yellowtail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com