Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-27-2003, 05:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
yellowy greeny brownie algae stuff, yukk

Hi all.
Have recently established (3 weeks) a 6ft saltwater tank, have only two fish in it and some small amount of LR. About a week ago i added the lighting which consists of 4 three foot flouro's, two are coral lights (blue} and two are the normal white light.
I added some new LR today and noticed that the other LR and all the shell substrate is now covered in this disgusting yellowy, brownie green algae? , at least that is what i think it is..
Is there an easy way to get rid of it?? am i running the lights to long (approx 15hrs} and how do i avoid ever getting it again, and is it detrimental to my tank..
thanks in advance

kellane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 06:45 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

Does the algae come off easily? Does it come off in sheets? Can we get a picture of the algae?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 11:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
120 watts for a 6-footer (125g +) is probably bare minimum lighting. So I don't think that high lighting is the problem. 15 hours is probably a bit long. If your actinics and daylights are on separate circuits, you can stagger the the actinics to come on for 12 hours and the daylights for 8 hours. The small amount of LR, was it cured or uncured? Probably excess nutrients dying off from the LR which is causing the algae. Test your water for phosphate & nitrates and this will give you a good idea of the parameters.
pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 09:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
It's typical to get an algae bloom (cyanobacteria or otherwise) after a cycle... at least, in my experience. I'd give the snails some time to work on it and perhaps use a scrubber if it gets on the glass. If it continues, then worry about it.
- Gauge

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 02:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
yes algae will come off easily, is sort of a slime and will rub off with your `thumb
kellane1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com