yellowy greeny brownie algae stuff, yukk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellane1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all.
Have recently established (3 weeks) a 6ft saltwater tank, have only two fish in it and some small amount of LR. About a week ago i added the lighting which consists of 4 three foot flouro's, two are coral lights (blue} and two are the normal white light.
I added some new LR today and noticed that the other LR and all the shell substrate is now covered in this disgusting yellowy, brownie green algae? , at least that is what i think it is..
Is there an easy way to get rid of it?? am i running the lights to long (approx 15hrs} and how do i avoid ever getting it again, and is it detrimental to my tank..
thanks in advance
kell

schild27.gif
to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

Does the algae come off easily? Does it come off in sheets? Can we get a picture of the algae?

120 watts for a 6-footer (125g +) is probably bare minimum lighting. So I don't think that high lighting is the problem. 15 hours is probably a bit long. If your actinics and daylights are on separate circuits, you can stagger the the actinics to come on for 12 hours and the daylights for 8 hours. The small amount of LR, was it cured or uncured? Probably excess nutrients dying off from the LR which is causing the algae. Test your water for phosphate & nitrates and this will give you a good idea of the parameters.

It's typical to get an algae bloom (cyanobacteria or otherwise) after a cycle... at least, in my experience. I'd give the snails some time to work on it and perhaps use a scrubber if it gets on the glass. If it continues, then worry about it. :)

yes algae will come off easily, is sort of a slime and will rub off with your `thumb

Back
Top Bottom