Yes I'm a noob. Please Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
From all my previous posts you guys are about ready to tell me to leave the hobby. Well After my Pukani Rock crashed my tank, all I have are 2 feather dusters (which are covered in hair Algae and Shrivled up), 1 emerald crab, Alot of nass and cerith snails. My GSP and Zoo colony is thriving though. Despite that my sand bed looks like _____ (Insert Curse Word Here) Since it's hardly anything in the tank, can I take the sand out and clean it and put it back and seed it with some live sand. My sand looks like CRAP!! Hair algae and diatoms all over it. Just ordered some Marco rocks, Skimmer and more power heads but didn't want to put the new rocks on top of all that dirty sand. What you guys think?

I think taking care of the problem (sounds like excessive nutrients) will be a better fix than replacing the sand and having it happen again. What ate your parameters?

Might just wanna make like a small QT tank house all your live stuff and start over this time making sure to keep your parameters good and stay up on water changes ect.

Give your tank a real good vacuum and water change. And yes you can vacuum sand it just takes some patience time and diligence. Not necessary to drain the tank completely and start over. Just clean it real good and start fresh from there.

I think the QT tank with all your live stock in it is a great idea. After that, you can just keep light off in your main tank and start doing water change. I think your tank is under go mini cycle since your rock kind of breaking down and lots unwanted stuff are getting into the water

Give your tank a real good vacuum and water change. And yes you can vacuum sand it just takes some patience time and diligence. Not necessary to drain the tank completely and start over. Just clean it real good and start fresh from there.

Worked perfect!!! The sand looked like pure crap! But siphoned the sand and looks 80% better. The sand that did get siphoned up I rinsed and put back. thanks alot! Looks much better now. Someone told me never to vac the sand bed but this worked great!!

Back
Top Bottom