Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Yes or No?
Yes: you need a 100 gallon tank at the bare minimum 2 6.90%
No: you are able to have a 55 gallon tank it doesnt matter what size just as long as its not a 10 gallon 27 93.10%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 03:00 AM   #1
Rudy_627

yes or no?

im getting a 55 gallon tank will that be able to hold saltwater fish? cause my dad said at the least you need a 125 gallon fish tank to have SW fish
Old 02-02-2005, 03:02 AM   #2
Rudy_627

cause if i am not able to have SW fish in my tank then ill stick with going FWOWLP any who i hope i can get SW cause they have better color fish than FW
Old 02-02-2005, 03:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Errrr... well, you could even do a 10 gallon if you want! The bigger the better, just because a smaller tank is hard to keep levels the same. Temp, ph, salt, everything. A bigger tank will be more stable. 10 gal nanotanks are possible, but I would suggest you try bigger to start out.

A 55 gal is more than okay, especially if you're just starting out. Will be stable, but maybe not as stable as a 100. Go with the biggest that your budget can hold. I had a 29 gal that went okay... but in the end, it's up to your skills and PATIENCE. As long as you don't overstock your tank, you'll be set to go!! Make sure to check out the max. size that your potential fish will get, and stock accordingly. A 55 is good, but might be too small for fish like a yellow tang, or others, that get large. Take a good long while and look through this forum, and check up on some books by Fenner: "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" . HTH

~~Rob
Old 02-02-2005, 03:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
the bigger the better. you cant argue with that. but i have mantianed 4 under 10 gal salt water tanks with great success. you should be fine with a 55 gal.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AlonelyCody Send a message via Yahoo to AlonelyCody
I agree with RLG2182

you can do a 10g but it is hard that is what I started with and had it running for 8 months things were going great and it sprung a leak i saved what i could now i have to 1g tanks. with a 10g sump, i have had this setup and going for about 5 months now. and everything seems to be going well.... I can't wait till I have the money to get my 30g drilled so I can get it going (O:

but yes they biger the tank the easyer it is to keep stable.

55 gallon - Live plants, gravel:
3 Bala Sharks, 4 Tiger Barbs, 3 Long Finned Rosy Barbs, 1 Tire Track Eel, 1 Black Ghost Knife, 1 Gold Gourami, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Pecock Eel ,1 Chinese Algae Eater.

45 gallon - Live plants, sand.
6 Cichlids = 1 Pink Convict, 1 Electric Yellow Hap, 1 Kenyi, 1 MUTT, 1 Johanni Mbuna, 1 Jacobfreibergi Peacock, 1 Plecostomus.

1 gallon - SW - crushed coral, live rock. **
4 Dwarf Hermit Crabs, 2 Astraea Turbo Snail.
Hitchikers - 1 green shroom, 2 polyps, and one muscle.

1 gallon - SW - crushed coral, live rock. **
4 Dwarf Hermit Crabs.
Hitchikers - 4 yellow polyps.

**10 gallon sump attached to both the 1 gallons.

10 gallon - FW sand, rock.
30ish Cichlid fry.

30 gallon - DOWN - Awating FW or SW
AlonelyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:40 AM   #6
Rudy_627

ok cause my dad said you need a 100 gal at bare minimum but i think FW will be easier and cheaper to start with i'll keep my 55 gal FW tank for as long as possible and if all goes well i can upgrade to saltwater unless my budget wont fit it well im hoping it will cause i havent seen to many FW fish with many colors and i have seen many of the SW fish with many colors cause i have been reading up on the cycles

does the same rule apply with the SW tanks and the nitrates cycle? j/w its a stupid question but yea i think it does(why wouldnt it) im new to this so dont think im an idiot :|
Old 02-02-2005, 06:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm setting up a 30 gal right now with a 10 gallon sump. It's going to be just fine, because I've done my research and received much helpful info here and elsewhere. 4 or 5 fish and a variety of things crawling on or waving tentacles from my live rock will be a GREAT start.

Quote:
does the same rule apply with the SW tanks and the nitrates cycle? j/w its a stupid question but yea i think it does(why wouldnt it) im new to this so dont think im an idiot
Yes. I'm in day 5 of my cycle and I THINK I'm registering my first positive nitrite reading (an earlier positive test was mere wishful thinking on my part). I'll check again in 12 hours to be sure, then it's GO NITRATES! After that, big water change and the welcome wagon will be out for my new arrivals, beginning with LR, then cleaners and other crawly things ... then fish.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Need more options in your poll btw, but generally, the smaller the tank, the more difficult. You can have a 10g SW, it's just harder.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

55gal is a great size tank for a new SW keeper. But, as you said, it's expensive. If you went with live rock, a good skimmer, and aragonite sand, you'd be spending $500.
If you wanted to keep corals and other 'neat' inverts, figure on spending $1,000 to get completely setup...NOT counting fish and corals in that cost.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 55gal is a great size to start with. As mentioned, bigger is better, but a 55 is a great starting point. Now your Dad may be somewhat right here. If you start with a 55, a few months later you will wish you had a 125. No worries, this hobby is full of "tank envy". Good luck in the set up...Lando

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com