yes or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yes or No?

• Yes: you need a 100 gallon tank at the bare minimum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No: you are able to have a 55 gallon tank it doesnt matter what size just as long as its not a 10 ga

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
R

Rudy_627

im getting a 55 gallon tank will that be able to hold saltwater fish? cause my dad said at the least you need a 125 gallon fish tank to have SW fish

cause if i am not able to have SW fish in my tank then ill stick with going FWOWLP any who i hope i can get SW cause they have better color fish than FW

Errrr... well, you could even do a 10 gallon if you want! The bigger the better, just because a smaller tank is hard to keep levels the same. Temp, ph, salt, everything. A bigger tank will be more stable. 10 gal nanotanks are possible, but I would suggest you try bigger to start out.

A 55 gal is more than okay, especially if you're just starting out. Will be stable, but maybe not as stable as a 100. Go with the biggest that your budget can hold. I had a 29 gal that went okay... but in the end, it's up to your skills and PATIENCE. As long as you don't overstock your tank, you'll be set to go!! Make sure to check out the max. size that your potential fish will get, and stock accordingly. A 55 is good, but might be too small for fish like a yellow tang, or others, that get large. Take a good long while and look through this forum, and check up on some books by Fenner: "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" . HTH

~~Rob

the bigger the better. you cant argue with that. but i have mantianed 4 under 10 gal salt water tanks with great success. you should be fine with a 55 gal.

I agree with RLG2182

you can do a 10g but it is hard that is what I started with and had it running for 8 months things were going great and it sprung a leak i saved what i could now i have to 1g tanks. with a 10g sump, i have had this setup and going for about 5 months now. and everything seems to be going well.... I can't wait till I have the money to get my 30g drilled so I can get it going (O:

but yes they biger the tank the easyer it is to keep stable.

ok cause my dad said you need a 100 gal at bare minimum but i think FW will be easier and cheaper to start with i'll keep my 55 gal FW tank for as long as possible and if all goes well i can upgrade to saltwater unless my budget wont fit it well im hoping it will cause i havent seen to many FW fish with many colors and i have seen many of the SW fish with many colors cause i have been reading up on the cycles

does the same rule apply with the SW tanks and the nitrates cycle? j/w its a stupid question but yea i think it does(why wouldnt it) im new to this so dont think im an idiot :oops: :|

I'm setting up a 30 gal right now with a 10 gallon sump. It's going to be just fine, because I've done my research and received much helpful info here and elsewhere. 4 or 5 fish and a variety of things crawling on or waving tentacles from my live rock will be a GREAT start.

does the same rule apply with the SW tanks and the nitrates cycle? j/w its a stupid question but yea i think it does(why wouldnt it) im new to this so dont think im an idiot

Yes. I'm in day 5 of my cycle and I THINK I'm registering my first positive nitrite reading (an earlier positive test was mere wishful thinking on my part). I'll check again in 12 hours to be sure, then it's GO NITRATES! After that, big water change and the welcome wagon will be out for my new arrivals, beginning with LR, then cleaners and other crawly things ... then fish.

Need more options in your poll btw, but generally, the smaller the tank, the more difficult. You can have a 10g SW, it's just harder.

55gal is a great size tank for a new SW keeper. But, as you said, it's expensive. If you went with live rock, a good skimmer, and aragonite sand, you'd be spending $500.
If you wanted to keep corals and other 'neat' inverts, figure on spending $1,000 to get completely setup...NOT counting fish and corals in that cost.

A 55gal is a great size to start with. As mentioned, bigger is better, but a 55 is a great starting point. Now your Dad may be somewhat right here. If you start with a 55, a few months later you will wish you had a 125. No worries, this hobby is full of "tank envy". Good luck in the set up...Lando

I went from 12 year old FW to SW about 5 mo. ago. Everything is going mostly fine. PATIENCE is the key. I just went through a humbling loss of a green carpet anemone that was added to early to my tank.
If you're thinking of starting out with UGF, forget it!. That was the 2nd biggest mistake I made.
This site is great, but it could use a "history" type forum for people who want to read about actual chronilogical experiences.
If you have the time, read my posts and you'll learn what "not" to do.
BTW- I'm nearing $2000 with existing tank and heater. Plan financially too.
For all the nerve-wracking situations I've been in and will be in, it is soooo worth it! GOOD LUCK!

My 55 is turning out KILLER! So far:
1 clown
1 Brown Tang
1 Lawnmower Blenny
10 hermits
1 emerald crab
1 cleaner shrimp

Very cool. Lights come next week then,....some starter corals. WoooooWhoooooooo!!!!!!!!!

ok but im careful with money so sorry for making you guys give me all this advie but thanks anyways im just gonna go FW cause its cheaper and we dont have alot of money so im just looking if anyone near Tulsa, Oklahoma has a 55 gal tank for sale i checked the classifieds on sunday i saw none!!! i was like wth? but im thinking ill just have my parents order one off the net if you guys find a cheap perfecto tank on the internet let me know just PM me with what you all find and make sure that they can ship it

Thanks, and sorry for all the trouble :oops:

Rudy

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! :twisted: lol

Don't worry about it. FW can be expensive too, just so ya know :wink: Good luck with that & we'll see you on the FW forums. Anyways, I'm sure a newbie to SW read the heck out of this post... thanks for starting it!!

~~Rob

no problem yet i still feel bad about it hopefully this topic will help out a noob im just hoping FW is gonna be cheaper the reason i thought that is cause

1. i dont have to but salt constenlt
2. i dont know if SW fish are carnivores herbivores or omnivores
3. i dont know what enviornment the like
and 4. i think SW fish in a 55 gal wont do so good

sorry again :oops:

yes, this is the first time this "noob" tried to give advice. feels good. thx & good luck with FW

By the way... Rudy... Quadruple the kudos for Full Metal Alchemist. LOVED that series. Not fish related... but I think I have over 850 gigs of anime on my system right now :D

lol thanks i love anime especially Inuyash and Full Metal Alchemist havent seen any new episodes of Inuyasha lemme know when there are some but im absolutely addicted to Full Metal Alchemist i love it me and my older brother LOVE anime well i gotta go to bed cause i have school tomorrow hopefully i get my fish tank!!

Back
Top Bottom