Yes or no ? Iodine !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pritchard

Aquarium Advice Freak
This subject seems to be a real for or against topic ! I dose 1 drop a day in my 105g system with great results and my salt is tropic Marin pro-reef 10% pwc every 2 weeks ! Granted I can't test for it but it's working and was recommended to me by my lfs (Norman) 60 years old and been learning most of his life (top geeza to) this topic has come up in a couple of my posts and I would just like some more info / opinions !

image-3388925126.jpg

if your not testing for it, how do you know what the concentration is building up in your tank? Cross that threshold and your tank will be wiped out. Unless you have something unique you do not and should not dose iodine. Water changes is all you need, I have a tank full of Xenia, which they say need iodine, I dose nothing but wc and everything thrives

Thanks for your reply ! This seems to be a really debatable topic and it's peoples opinions that I'm looking for !

I agree with the above. Plenty of iodine in your salt mix. How often are your shrimp molting? If it's a lot, then you have an abundance of iodine.

I recently got some iodine for free, i was wondering if to use it. Someone at my lfs told me i should use some and i grabbed that off a sample table, havent used it at all though.

This is not a "more is better" situation. when talking about iodine, calcium or anything else. You MUST know your levels, and corals/anemones/whatever, do best with the levels found in natural sea water.

@ mr x ! My boxer shrimp moulted for the first time last month and my cleaner twice ! Thank you for that info (which made total sense as soon as I read it) I have used this product daily for two years now with no problems but I may cut back to weekly (gradually) and see how I get on !

I used to dose iodine 3 drops once a week , it helps bring out the color of the corals , yes it helps but it's hard to maintain a stable level and I tested daily,
I stopped after I realized even after water changes the levels were high,
I was told just to double the amount of new water at every change ,
you would not believe it now that I do bigger wc weekly and don't dose any more
my corals look just as good if not better , my levels are in a good stable range and both me and my corals are happy

Back
Top Bottom