Yet another anemone question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been researching a saddleback anemone. I have wanted an anemone for quite some time but I'm getting conflicting reports......

I do not have mh lighting but cf lighting. It is my understanding that the saddleback doesn't require as strong lighting as say the bta? In your experience do you feel that is a fair statement?

I do have two clown fish and I would like to get an anemone....if they host it fine (but I really doubt that they will) but if they don't, I don't have a problem with that either. I just want to make sure that I have a suitable tank setup for an anemone.

Any suggestions/comments that you'd like to offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

I cant find any references to a saddleback anenome. Do you have a link to it? I have heard of a saddleback clownfish but not anenome.

They are S. haddoni.

Haddonis don't need lots of light like gigantea's (BTA's don't need MH or lots of light), but what you also have to think about is that they live on the sandbed or next to a rock on the sandbed so the light has to go from the fixture to the water then from the water all the way down to the sand.

How long has the tank been setup? Do you have any experience with btas or ltas?

How deep is the tank? Is it open top? How much light do you have over it?

Ugh! Lost power last night in the middle of my reply....

I've had my tank up for 13 months. I have zippo experience with any anenome. The tank is approximately 20" deep. Top is closed for about 12 hrs and open 12 hrs (yes, that's weird I know). I have a cf fixture with approximately 3 wpg.

Beautiful anemone, but I agree there are others that would be better for your tank. Main reasons are that, like Lance said, this anemone will foot itself on your sandbed and not in your rock, which means it will be getting less light from your PC's. Carpets are also generally hard to keep and get huge!

With your lighting, I also agree with the others that a RBTA or a BTA would be good for your tank.

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...ategory=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...ategory=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

Like Devilishturtles suggested, a bta would do ok in your tank.

If you did want to get a haddoni, I would suggest upgrading to T-5's w/ individual reflectors at the least. They can be kept under pc lighting but you would need a lot of it and pristine water to ensure good light penetration and still it might move up on the rocks or glass to get more light.

Back
Top Bottom